Search the forum,

Discuss Site tiling info in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikeyd859

hi guys. I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience with tiling on building sites.

im curious about pay mainly
i know that i cant use my standard plugged tools ect

any info would be great cheers

J

Just Rizzle

you need 110 electric tools or cordless

some times theres site jobs advertised in the jobs section of the forum you wont get as much as private work and if your self employed u need a utr number to get paid

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Make enquiries at your local tile shop to find out who the main tiling contractors in your area then give them a call. 60 days payment terms for subbying sounds a bit long in my experience , but then I might just be lucky . Never waited longer than a week for my 2 main contractors to pay me.
Also ask if they supply spacers etc , some do some don't.
Also find out how far you have to travel to pick up tiles and snot or is delivered to site.

I've recently changed contractors to get more local work ( health reasons ) , and everything I need is in a 10 mile radius , suits me down to the ground. Pays within 2 or 3 days too.

Just to add , if it's just wall tiling then my Dewalt with 3 batteries does the day , usually only a handful of copper tails to drill for. If its flooring ( say over 10m² )then its power tools ( 110v ) , transformer if power , if not , then its get the genny out time.

Little tip as well , keep some adhesive lids ( i'm supplied with Biscem showerproof ) , and take your own water , saves sooooooooo much time when you get to site. For me 2 buckets fills my washboy , mixes my grout and leaves enough in bucket for washing off.

Diggy

Last edited:

radim

TF
Arms
Reaction score
you will need PPE. hat, vest, boots, gloves, glasses, ear plugs, mask,
some sites want you to wear hats even in toilet....
risk assessment, method statements,.....
some sites will allow you to smoke in the houses...
I prefer site over domestics.

S

Spare Tool

Me and my tiling partner have travelled the length and bredth of the country from Middlesborough to Canterbury doing changing rooms in new Gyms for a local contractors.
The walls are easy work, sometimes in excess of 500 sqm all 6 x 6 white tiles 2mm spacer, 6mm trowel with bucket addy straight onto new studded moister proof green plasterboard walls...don't forget to fill the board joints with addy on the back of trowel...
Aim to tile and grout 100sqm a week to make a decent wage after taking out hotel, we always stayed in travelodges (booked early enough you can share a decent clean room for around £twenty per night £tenner a piece), and travel time and costs.
Cant emphasise enough the use of a laser to mark a datum line and make a staff to guarantee lining adjoining rooms up as putting on battons with a spirit level over 500 sqm just will not work no matter how good a level you've got.
Speed is the name of the game on these jobs, get the pallet of tiles and addy in the middle of the room your tiling, so to avoid wasting time carrying buckets and boxes all over the site, keep tile cutter and ruler to hand and get a pouch for your spacers, wedges and pencils and markers, anything to avoid wasting time as its all about the meters per day.
Set a target for the day, and don't go back to hotel till you've hit it.
I'd say its best to have at least two of you doing this kind of work as some days it pays to let one do the trim work round doors and corners etc while the other bangs the tiles on and keeps your meterage up, also nice to have someone you get on with to have a pint and something to eat in a strange town after a long day...oh and don't have too many pints and end up going on the lash... you'll end up spending all you've earnt that day.
We always had one good booze up at end of job to celebrate finishing.
We always measured up at on a Friday afternoon and by the following Friday the cheque was through the letterbox, that way your only a week behind with pay...

Reply to Site tiling info in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen