Search the forum,

Discuss site and commercial work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

LM Ceramics

i ve just recentley set up on my own i was wondering about site/commercial work i dont want to do domestics all the time, wen i was workin for a tiling firm i used to love goin on new build sites, how do self employed tilers gain new build site work. or am i jumpin the gun a bit any suggestions would be helpful thanks Lee

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
To get the work from new builds you need to be contacting the developers. Though as you said yourself, you tend to find firms win the bids with a number of tilers as they can get through the work.

You'd be bidding with all sorts and you tend to find the guy that knows the contractor best will get the bid. He'll know what to price.

Though to carry out the work you'll need your CSCS card. Give Chase a bell, they'll help you get one and give you some pointers on getting trained if you're not already qualified fully.

D

Dicko1973

Hello LM

I'm still working on sites as a decorator and been asking the same questions. Dan is right your better writing to the developers or the main contractors head office to get on a tender list when your on the list which may take some time I believe they will send you details to price on.

Like dan said it is a case of not what you know, but some agents have told me that for smaller jobs which are a good size to you and me they may go for the cheaper tender which rules out the firms with the big overheads.

I'd give them a go it can't hurt to try and if you've got time to wait it might be worthwhile in the end.

But the CSCS Card is an important factor though.

Hope this helps good luck.

Rich

L

LM Ceramics

thanks for the feedback dan im gonna give it a go anyway i have no formal qualifications even though i trained as an apprentice iv spoken to chase im goin for my nvq then hopefully get my cscs car i think u can apply for a temporary one not sure though?

thanks anyway

R

rossy

just go to the site manger and ask what company has got the tiling contract and give them a ring alot of these companies are allways after tilers specially if your local but money not as good as domestic you have got to be fairly quick to earn a good wage..

M

martinw

i would second that, we have just got to ex students into a local council main contract company, money is not fantastic but its a start for them, they came back last week and were getting big pressure for speeding up there fixing rates and the company are not bothered about the quality side of things they just want them in, out and onto the next house.

its a bit demoralising if you take pride in your job and you are used to pricing your own job that you know how long it will take you to do it right! thats councils for ya!!!

L

LM Ceramics

ive tried that rossy but no firms are taken on tilers around my area i just want a small building site or even a crappy council site would do just for a bit of regular work to fill in while i do domestic houses aswell

J

JIMBOB187

My advice mate, talk to people on site and then talk some more, it's all about building relationships, even with the current tilers on site, get a toe in the door your foot will follow:thumbsup: .

Reply to site and commercial work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen