Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Sigma Setup in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

David Rowell

Hi all,

So Ive getting myself a sigma cutter which cuts upto 725mm. Im having massive trouble with it and im not getting on with it at all like.

My question is how do you go about setting the thing up ie to get consistant cuts? Im at the point where when im going to snap the tile ive got no trust in it.

Any help fellas that would be much appreciated

Dave

W

White Room

Your measuring bar should have another sliding bar that can be screwed tight to do consistent cuts.

D

David Rowell

What tiles are you cutting...

They are like a rough ish face and are 8mm. Is it normal to have to run the scoring wheel over a few times?

image.jpeg

D

David Rowell

Where do you put the snapping arm normally whitebeam? About 50mm in from the fence?

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have a Sigma also that cuts upto 900mm and find it an excellent bit of kit, that being said it has not been without a few issues. Here's what I have found: sometimes it is possible to actually overscore the tile and maybe creating/finding a weak spot in the tile and so causing it to break at an un-wanted point, try and use a lighter score on certain tiles.
Adjusting the bar helps if struggling to cut certain tiles or if they are breaking at the incorrect point, have a play about with it using a few offcuts and see what works.
Practice practice practice!!! after years of using a Rubi it felt very strange then using the sigma and i'd say it took me a good few jobs to get used to it and learn its limitations, strengths weaknesses.
Tiles with a rough/textured surface can be awkward to cut using this type of cutter as the score is not going to be consistant along the tile so assess if the tile can actually be cut this way.
Finally, there has been 2 occasions when the porcelain tiles I was supplied wth just would not cut correctly on the sigma, most likely because they were cheap foreign rubbish that has been overbaked and too brittle. If this happens, get the trusty dewalt 2400 out and impress everyone! :handok:

stick with it mate, I have never regretted switching to my Sigma!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Sigma Setup in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks