Search the forum,

Discuss Shower tray tiling issues in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sibhs85

They have told me the water wouldn't drain properly without the cuts done where they are

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this? Obviously the tiles would have to be lifted and replaced and if they were to leave the joist in the same place because of supposed joist - is it reasonable of me to expect cuts to be symmetrical and meet corners of drain?
the joist could be cut and a trimmer fitted to support the joists. this woul enable the drain to be moved further to the wall... then you could retile to the drain corners and create the symmetry that the job deserves.

S

Sibhs85

Joist being cut and trimmer fitted sounds like a big job (well in my naivety anyway) is it?

S

Sibhs85

Yes. Definitely "had" as you put it.
They just didn't have a clue what they were doing with that I'm afraid.

I knew I had been but they did their very best to talk me down with tiling jargon to stop me from questioning them

O

One Day

They have told me the water wouldn't drain properly without the cuts done where they are

100% wrong. It won't drain correctly now precisely because of the way it's cut.
If they can't get that bit right, I dread to think of the waterproofing!
Aesthetics count, but in wet areas - correct preparation counts for more.

S

Sibhs85

100% wrong. It won't drain correctly now precisely because of the way it's cut.
If they can't get that bit right, I dread to think of the waterproofing!
Aesthetics count, but in wet areas - correct preparation counts for more.
Let's hope I get them to sort it so without costing me a fortune! Thanks

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Joist being cut and trimmer fitted sounds like a big job (well in my naivety anyway) is it?
put one of these either side and pop the joist in-between. really simple. would enable you to place the drain in the right place then.

joist hanger.gif

O

One Day

I'm guessing it's an Impey tray with the swivel waste, so it's not important really where the waste lies. But the envelope cuts should meet on the drain corners, for aesthetics but also function. They were definitely under the influence of something when they did that one!
As for lifting and replacing, they won't do it. It will take longer to do it right than it would have taken to do the whole floor in the first place.
Unless you have leverage by not having paid the muppets?

S

Sibhs85

I'm guessing it's an Impey tray with the swivel waste, so it's not important really where the waste lies. But the envelope cuts should meet on the drain corners, for aesthetics but also function. They were definitely under the influence of something when they did that one!
As for lifting and replacing, they won't do it. It will take longer to do it right than it would have taken to do the whole floor in the first place.
Unless you have leverage by not having paid the muppets?
I only gave them 80% of the cost as suggested by bathroom company as they are contracted fitters until the manager of the company comes out to inspect it on Monday. Will still owe the company 3500 after that also so hoping that's enough leverage

Reply to Shower tray tiling issues in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen