Search the forum,

Discuss Shower tray installation in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
You could do with tanking that wall before tiling!
Yeh I know that now, I replaced that shower and old tiles that I had put up 10 years before and they were B@stards to get off and were bone dry underneath and they were 150x150 so loads of grout lines compared to the new ones at 400x250. How come they dont tank in new builds

Lakey

TF
Reaction score
Yeh I know that now, I replaced that shower and old tiles that I had put up 10 years before and they were B@stards to get off and were bone dry underneath and they were 150x150 so loads of grout lines compared to the new ones at 400x250. How come they dont tank in new builds

I think you'll find time and money are more important than reputation and customer satisfaction with new builds.
Just look at the length of snagging lists on new builds when people move in....and thats only for the visible things!!

J

Jrterror

Hi. Once again thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.
Kaley. I've always wondered why shower trays don't come with a raised lip, then discovered that some do. I then investigated them further and found quite a few complaints. I would have thought that the four rim ones would solve a lot of issue at the intersection of the door frames and the tray. Especially since you are supposed to seal only the outside of frames.
What's the opinion of you fitters on these raised lip trays. I already have walls plastered and unsure at this point if they are square and true. If owt like everything else in this house, they won't be.
Ha

Filip

TF
Reaction score
I am not a fitter just a big DIYer. And fitted 3. My walls were not square but with thick plaster /sand cement on one wall that gave me some play I just had to build out one wall with plaster to square it off for the tray.
I just think that the bead of silicone on the outside of a flat top tray will leak sooner or later and depending how well or not it is done can look a mess and gets dirty. You also sometimes get splash ups go under the bottom of the door depending on the fit. The only thing with a 4 upstand is that you have to make sure that there is enough room to get in-between the cubical and upstand so you can clean it,tissue wrapped around a kebab skewer sort of thing or a narrow long bristled scrub brush.

Last edited:

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Here it all is

BATH.jpg

martin1c

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If you are using a marine ply base you use any type of tray provided it is fully supported by placing it on a bed of adhesive. If you intend to use leg kits, I'd stick with a heavier tray which will have a sturdier feel to it. Try either Mira or Just Trays and you won't go wrong

Reply to Shower tray installation in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen