Discuss shelf life of grout? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

dexo

TF
Reaction score
hi every one. i have cleaned out my garage over the break and as a result i am left with quite a few half used bags of addy & grout, any bags with stones in i have chucked. my question is can you still use stuff that may be over ayear old? any opinions gratefully received.

T

tfs

me to, you need to think of all the cold , damp and then sometimes hot weather conditions that it has been stored in as wells as the use by date.

A

Alberta Stone

Sift it and do a test with what you get to see what happens.
It doesn't go bad it just clumps up.
If it clumps too much then it is shot, toss it, but the clumps can sometimes be broken up easily and it still works.
I use older stuff for non-critical projects where any lesser performance is not going to be an issue.
Store it on a shelf on board or cardboard to get some longer storage life.
I have a good pile I have to go through this spring and sort out.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9966

anything open that's been there more than 6 months, I tend to chuck away. however I did find it useful using a half bag of old addy to position my bonfire night fireworks in old plant pots rather than shoving them into the ground and burning the grass :yesnod:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
sling it............might look ok till you start using it and find small lumps and grit ruining your grouting.

A

aph257

i don't leave bags opened for long as it generally gets used on next job, if spec is ok. but if it's been left for a while i would chuck it.

S

SandyFloor

I wouldn't take any chances with grout especially if the bags have been opened. Once addy has been opened the shelf life is greatly reduced and yours has definitely had it. What happens is it just doesn't set.

Reply to shelf life of grout? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay