Search the forum,

Discuss Setting out Floor tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GazSuttonUK

Hi All, my first post.

I have done wall tiling before but I now need to Tile a Porch Floor. We have bought 120 mm 'imoker' Gres Porcellanato.
They are a rustic with uneven(wavy) edges.

Sontex RS2 Tile Adhesive.

Biscem Grout.

How do I set the rows out, I cannot use spacers because of uneven edges.

What space between the tiles?
Adhesive - how thick?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Gaz.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The D

Set your floor out, as you would normally ie find the centres. Do not worry about the edges of the tiles as they are supposed to be uneven just ensure that when you put a straight edge in the centre of the joint it is running true. The joints will vary from 3mm to 5mm

W

White Room

Set your floor out, as you would normally ie find the centres. Do not worry about the edges of the tiles as they are supposed to be uneven just ensure that when you put a straight edge in the centre of the joint it is running true. The joints will vary from 3mm to 5mm

As above:stupid:

D

DHTiling

Your adhesive is fine for porcelain but grout could do with an additive for a good bond to the porcelain..:thumbsup:

G

GazSuttonUK

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

Photo of one of the Tile's.
F410005-1.jpg

O

oogabooga

Gaz, can't help you with the product side of things, but they look like some seriously wonky tiles - I know they're probably meant to look rustic. I normally use a 10mm trowel on floors, unless I've screeded first, and backbutter porcelain - but with tiles that small I'd opt for a smaller trowel maybe 8mm to prevent excessive slumping.

Don't use spacers - I use the eyechrometer instead. :grin: One technique is to ping some chalklines and use these as your controls. Just put your chalklines say 50mm off the tile edges (so you don't lose them under adhesive) and keep checking as you progress so you don't drift off - just make sure your lines are accurate to begin with. Alternatively, if you have a long enough straight edge and the layout is basic, simply anchor the straightedge and use that as your centreline.

I think it's a good idea to move away from using spacers, not many tiles I run across are accurate enough to use them, and also you'll get your "eyechrometer" up and running.

Reply to Setting out Floor tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen