Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Setting out advice - 600 x 300 x 9mm porcelain tile brick bond fashion? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

Running a small bathroom job for a customer.

Customer really wants to use a particular 600x300x9 porcelain tile he has picked out in a brick bond pattern.

The back wall of the shower cubicle is awkwardly a little over 600 wide. It's also on the wonk in a proper pyramid shape, but all parties have acknowledged this!

By the time backer board and tiles are on the adjacent walls it will be about 662 wide at the top and 736 by the bottom (crazy I know).

Question is how best to lay this out. My customer says he would like to have a column of tiles on their side (portrait) running down the centre. To be fair the half tiles either side will match up for a wrap-around the corner full tile look with the adjoining brick bond so I get that logic but hard to imagine how it would look. Is there a better option other than new tile size? Customer set on the tile he has chosen.

I would be curious to see how else one would approach this from a setting out point or view or if anyone has seen this before and it looks good/bad.

Attached is a photo of how the awful previous tiles were done using a mosaic. This was done in a straight stack. God knows who by though, terrible work. I'll upload a couple some pictures of that too for those who like a laugh!

IMG_20190916_125716.jpg

IMG_20190916_140050.jpg

IMG_20190916_154620_1.jpg

IMG_20190916_140110.jpg

IMG_20190916_114548.jpg

IMG_20190911_151902.jpg

IMG_20190911_150934.jpg

IMG_20190911_150911.jpg

IMG_20190911_151007.jpg

J

Just Rizzle

got no other jobs to do its always going to be a pigs ear.
wouldnt like to put my name to that job good luck

OP
C
Reaction score
got no other jobs to do its always going to be a pigs ear.
wouldnt like to put my name to that job good luck

Helpful, thanks!

It's not that bad. Customer fully aware of the geometry issues. It's just a small bathroom attached to a garage and part of a much larger project (whole house). It needs doing either way as tiles have come off now

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Does the customer want a layout similar to the existing, with a portrait tile in place of the mosaics?
If it works out and that’s what he wants just do it.

O

Old Mod

With such a small piece either side of a portrait piece, you can’t possibly hope to hide the rake.
It’ll exaggerate it if anything.
When you re board can you not make it plumb?
Or nearly anyway.
If not and it’s what they want, bite your lip and carry on.
Just make sure your centre piece is exactly that, dead centre so it shows an even graduation.
And don’t forget to plumb your line on the wrap from the smallest piece. 😁 (bottom to the top)

Another way is to use an 800+ tile, so it spans across whole width.

Or the best way is to get one 2400 x 800 x 6mm slab, and use that on back wall, one piece.
These are 2400 x 800 from Florim 😁
54E51362-0B62-4CBC-B4B2-9A6990D400FD.jpeg

Or if you wanted to create an optical illusion, get tiles wider than back wall and grind two lines parallel to the outside walls in centre to give illusion of a portrait piece, only they would rake by 74mm off the centre line too. 🤣🤣🙈

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Try for a different feature tile on that back wall only and tile it in a random stagger bond. That will help throw the eye off how wonky it is

D

Dumbo

As @3_fall if you're putting backer boards on square it up
[automerge]1568662916[/automerge]
To be honest you're customer is nuts . It's going to look like somebody can't set a room out . They should keep the bond and work it so you don't get the problems . Tell them it's not clever and will just look wrong .

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

I will square it up somewhat before I put backerboards in but can't do it completely because the shower tray is down already and not being replaced.

Customer knows exactly what they are asking for and exactly what they will (and won't!) be getting. It's an unused basement conversion they are getting it ready to rent out as an Airbnb. Tiles weren't even going to be changed until we found leaks and moulding boards behind the tiles.

Thanks again guys

OP
C
Reaction score
@3_fall you're right, that does make for an optical illusion. Your photo looks like it was taken inside a doll house!

Also I hear you're the man to talk to about mitred corners. I have been practicing them at home with off cuts and feel confident making the cuts now. I heard one is meant to fill the joints with resin but this is the bit I don't know much about. What kind of resin? Where do you buy it? How do you colour match it? How best to apply it? Is it used in conjunction with any other product?

O

Old Mod

@3_fall you're right, that does make for an optical illusion. Your photo looks like it was taken inside a doll house!

Also I hear you're the man to talk to about mitred corners. I have been practicing them at home with off cuts and feel confident making the cuts now. I heard one is meant to fill the joints with resin but this is the bit I don't know much about. What kind of resin? Where do you buy it? How do you colour match it? How best to apply it? Is it used in conjunction with any other product?

Haha no, but it is an attic space. (Large house 😊)

Oh just a short question then 🤣
I’ll look in again later.

Reaction score
Maybe someone else will face a similar problem too. I recently installed gypsum tiles that looked like bricks all over the bathroom! That gypsum was industrial, treated with a special moisture-proofing compound (the manufacturer promises at least 10 years for gypsum). You can see the results of work in the photo - the background for the Bathroom remodeling, scroll down to Services we provide: Schaumburg Home Remodeling. Renovate your House with Real Masters - IK Home Pros - https://ikhomepros.com/schaumburg-home-remodeling/ (I don’t know how to extract that photo). So, this tile is very easy to fit the right size, if you need, you can just cut it. In addition, it is not difficult to install: View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yywp6bkyuss

Reply to Setting out advice - 600 x 300 x 9mm porcelain tile brick bond fashion? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock