Search the forum,

Discuss Setting out a backsplash in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dave180

We decided after seeing a picture in a brochure to have full walls tiled around the bath, but just a backsplash over the basin.
Using bevelled edge brick tiles in half bond (right term?) the two walls worked out fine, but i've just realised i don't know how to finish the edge of backsplash. the sides will have to be cut edges, 1/4 and 3/4 tiles alternating, but there will still be a bevel between the rows and along the top so trim won't work?
Looking at the brochure again there is no trim, would the edges be painted? or silicone?
Thanks for any advice

B

BoldreChris

I would normally form the top edge in grout in these situations. Any trim you use will fit in some places and be proud or sunken in others. does the splashback just stop or do the edges butt up against some other features? If they do just stop on the flat wall, perhaps you could create some interesting "columns" in matching or contrast tiles or trim ? Some creativity is required !

F

faithhealer

I've used flat stainless trim to hide cut bevel edged tiles before and didn't look bad

C

cornish_crofter

I've tried a silicone edge to tiles before. The customer did NOT like it one bit, and I could see why when I looked at it again. We opted for a grout finished edge. The grout came down at 45 degrees at the edge. This meant he could then paint down to the tiles. I didn't see the finished effect but apparently it looked very good.

V

vosnack

I would use a trim. Chrome square trim should look good assuming there's no big difference on bevells (up to around 2mm). It obviusly needs to be big enough to fully hide tile edge. It should give an impression of nice piece of art(/tile)work set in a frame. Cut trim nicely if you go with that option. Otherwise as stated before use grout or tile adhesive (if smooth) and paint it up to tile edge (you will probably have to apply it twice to have nice result as first coat will slightly deform when drying). I sometimes finish with adhesive going along with my finger to form nice slightly rounded finish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Setting out a backsplash in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen