Search the forum,

Discuss 'semi-dry' sand/cement mix in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Installing a Wedi fundo shower base and the instructions
Installing Fundo in Wooden Floors 2 say to fill around the drain with a 'semi-dry sand/cement mix'. Would this be in a ratio of 4:1 and how dry is 'semi-dry', hold itself together without feeling wet? Also how long after applying it can I fit the base, 24 hours?

P

peckers

Installing a Wedi fundo shower base and the instructions
Installing Fundo in Wooden Floors 2 say to fill around the drain with a 'semi-dry sand/cement mix'. Would this be in a ratio of 4:1 and how dry is 'semi-dry', hold itself together without feeling wet? Also how long after applying it can I fit the base, 24 hours?

I would make the sand cement like screed once mixed grab a hand full and squeeze it in you hand and then open the mix should stay bonded togeather and your hand should be damp and not soaking wet, this will make it easier to compact it around the drain, you can then fitt the board over the top and level it off strait away. a mix ratio of 3-1 is what i would do but others may reply with a different mix ratio.

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would make the sand cement like screed once mixed grab a hand full and squeeze it in you hand and then open the mix should stay bonded togeather and your hand should be damp and not soaking wet, this will make it easier to compact it around the drain, you can then fitt the board over the top and level it off strait away. a mix ratio of 3-1 is what i would do but others may reply with a different mix ratio.

Cheers. Does the sand/cement not need to dry then the former is fixed to it with adhesive? the top of the sand/cement should be level with the flooring boards, no?

Last edited:
P

peckers

Cheers. Does the sand/cement not need to dry then the former is fixed to it with adhesive? the top of the sand/cement should be level with the flooring boards, no?

Appologies i thought you was asking about putting the flooring overe the drain and cementing in!

The cement should be dry before you stick the former down over the top of the drain. so the adhesive sticks to it. I am unsure how long to wait for as it depends on how long it takes to dry! you could buy a small bag of rapid set cement which should be dry enough in 24 hrs!
Hopefully someone else with more knowledge on the cement drying times will be able to comment!

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Semi dry is one of those unfortunate building terms which is completely ambiguous. Some people like their screed quite wet others very dry. As Peckers says the standard test on site is top grab a handful and squeeze it together. You should be able to compact it and it holds itself together without being too plastic. 3:1 will be stronger obviously than 4: 1 but it will also shrink more. Not a major issue if only bedding in a drain cos you only using very small quantity.

As for the length of time before sticking the former down I will leave the tilers to answer that.

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i would say ,a couple of day's mate and I'd also use a 3-1 mix like peckers :thumbsup:

Cheers, on the Wedi instruction video, they don't even mention a drying time, just fire ahead and lay on the former, think I'll get some rapid drying cement in the morning and it should help.

W

wetdec

Many formers need support you may save on the board but pay on the labour and messing around. Foam cored wetroom formers in wood floors, suport the trap my ar$e.

You get what you pay for, simple fact in this business do it once do it right !!!!!! :smilewinkgrin:

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Many formers need support you may save on the board but pay on the labour and messing around. Foam cored wetroom formers in wood floors, suport the trap my ar$e.

You get what you pay for, simple fact in this business do it once do it right !!!!!! :smilewinkgrin:

Sorry, not sure what your point is here, my friend.....

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Yes, thought 'wrong side of bed' moment......................
Thing is , I don't think wedi is cheap but if installed correctly has good reputation.

F

floora

1:3 by weight,you need the screed to gain strengh in warm conditions a week to be safe.

Reply to 'semi-dry' sand/cement mix in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen