Search the forum,

Discuss Sealing over sealer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rich hand

I've cleaned a marble floor that had Lithofin Stain stop (solvent one apparently) applied when it was laid over 3 years ago. I understand that this sealer is both topical and an impregnator.

I used Aquamix Heavy duty on the floor and it was left looking a little dull. The customer was advised this may happen but would now like the sheen back.

I am wondering if I can go straight on top with more Stain Stop or even another sealer such as Aquamix High gloss sealer without stripping the floor properly. The guy who laid the floor mentioned that the sheen will always come back with buffing. However, the grout isn't sealed so this would need doing anyway.

D

DHTiling

Hi ..

Firstly.. Stain stop is just an impregnator..

When you say the HD left no shine.. i take it the marble is polished..?

That cleaner might remove some acrylic sealers but the one to use is Sealing and coating remover..

R

rich hand

Hi Dave

the Mable was only lightly polished when new, it did not have a high gloss appearance. If Stain stop is only an impregnator then there is nothing on the floor atall now so I wouldn't need to strip it. I am just wondering why it appears dull, maybe residue? When I tried buffing it by hand it did come back a little. However, can I assume that the floor may be worn some what and so I will need a topical sealer rather than just a buff?

D

DHTiling

It depends if the customer wants a sheen finish..

Did you rinse well after using the HD, so no residue was left..

If you use a topical sealer then it will have to be removed and replaced quite often, but an impregnator will last for years if looked after properly.

E

enduro

Could try twister pads...unless you go down the road of using Honing powders, polishing powders. :thumbsup:
Twister™ is a revolutionary cleaning system consisting of floor pads prepared with billions of microscopic diamonds which clean and polish the floor mechanically instead of using chemicals. Twister™ can be used on the most common floor surfaces such as terrazzo, natural stone, concrete, vinyl and epoxy. Twister™ is the tool that transforms your dull, worn floors into clean, glossy and brightly polished floors. Twister™ has unique advantages that benefit both the cleaning company and the floor owner. Read more about the benefits by clicking the links to the left.
  • Extreme cleanliness
  • High level of gloss
  • No periodic maintenance
  • Only water needed in daily maintenance
  • The TWISTER pads fits all types of machines

R

rich hand

Yes I did rinse well, certainly did not feel like any residue was left.

How would twister pads compare to a white buffing pad on such a floor?

R

rich hand

The second pic shows the floor looking dull, the first is actually wet but looks similar to how the floor looked before.

Attachments

• IMG_2480.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2476.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 30

Reply to Sealing over sealer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen