Discuss Screeding question? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

R Montgomery

Hi guys,
Just trying to figure things out.I'm used to standard floor prep being a cleavage membrane followed by a reinforced dry pack sand and cement screed.If it was a small floor I would lay the screed in the morning and if there wasn't any waterproofing,ufh etc I would tile in the afternoon on larger floors the next day.Yes on a green screed.On walls the same except using a wet lime mortar instead of the dry pack.Does this sound standard to anyone on here.I understand that there are now adhesives for going over substrates such as plywood but why?Tap it,it sounds wrong.
Can anyone help me out of the Twilight Zone I feel I have entered?

D

DHTiling

Hi monty..

You will find a lot of methods in the uk are vastly different to what you were used to in the usa..

You can fix to a fresh screed as you say ....slurry bonding is still done but does have its probs...especially efflorescence from the screed....if using a portland based mud deck...

2Balls

Modern building methods,Quicker setting times, Building Material companies bring out new products,to make new money so to speak!Time goes on and things change.:8:2Balls

R

R Montgomery

Thanks Dave,
I have a lot of new things to learn to deal with new situations.I will try to not always rebel against them.The one thing that I will rebel against is any dumming down or loss of quality in my trade.

R

R Montgomery

The sand is all river sand that goes through multiple washes so I have never had a problem with efflourescence coming up through the screed.Where does the sand here come from and how do they process it?Would I be stuck always using a membrane over the screed or are there other alternatives?

W

White Room

There different limes, Hydrated and Hydraulic and others. Hydrated lime is good for sand/lime/cement mixes. The Hydraulic NHL 3.5 is used for lime morter (no cement) for listed and lath application, believe me this is a whole different ball game. A sand/cement mix with fine sharp sand for rendering would suffice, no soft sand for rendering

R

R Montgomery

There different limes, Hydrated and Hydraulic and others. Hydrated lime is good for sand/lime/cement mixes. The Hydraulic NHL 3.5 is used for lime morter (no cement) for listed and lath application, believe me this is a whole different ball game. A sand/cement mix with fine sharp sand for rendering would suffice, no soft sand for rendering
Yea,I meant the hydrated lime,sand cement mix.Good to know that lime mortar has a different meaning here.The river sand comes in a couple of grades both fairly sharp.I never found soft sand in the states.Thanks Whitebeam.Feed me.I need to know.

Reply to Screeding question? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good afternoon, Does anyone have experience of using grooved dry screed boards? (Bonus points...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22