Search the forum,

Discuss Screeding question? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

R Montgomery

Hi guys,
Just trying to figure things out.I'm used to standard floor prep being a cleavage membrane followed by a reinforced dry pack sand and cement screed.If it was a small floor I would lay the screed in the morning and if there wasn't any waterproofing,ufh etc I would tile in the afternoon on larger floors the next day.Yes on a green screed.On walls the same except using a wet lime mortar instead of the dry pack.Does this sound standard to anyone on here.I understand that there are now adhesives for going over substrates such as plywood but why?Tap it,it sounds wrong.
Can anyone help me out of the Twilight Zone I feel I have entered?

R

R Montgomery

There different limes, Hydrated and Hydraulic and others. Hydrated lime is good for sand/lime/cement mixes. The Hydraulic NHL 3.5 is used for lime morter (no cement) for listed and lath application, believe me this is a whole different ball game. A sand/cement mix with fine sharp sand for rendering would suffice, no soft sand for rendering
Yea,I meant the hydrated lime,sand cement mix.Good to know that lime mortar has a different meaning here.The river sand comes in a couple of grades both fairly sharp.I never found soft sand in the states.Thanks Whitebeam.Feed me.I need to know.

Reply to Screeding question? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.