Search the forum,

Discuss Sandstone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Holohana

Evening all,

Im looking at a Sandstone floor job tomorrow and as I haven’t laid one before i though id ask you guys n gals if you have any feedback from your experiences. It’s a kitchen, pantry and conservatory. Around 20-30 I reckon.

The stone is un-calibrated so I know im going to have to use thickest 1st and work down building up with the adhesive as I go! Did a Indian slate floor like this.

Now the lady said the sizes of the tiles, although the same, do vary slightly so my thinking here is to get a happy medium grout line as possible.

Somewhere between 10-15mm was my thinking.

Anyone have any suggestions. Best adhesive, back butter, sealing etc?

Also how much do you guys charge per m2? £30 - £40 plus mats?

Thanks all.

T

TilingLogistics

This is another one with many variables. I am assuming the sandstone is almost a yellow type colour whilst I answer this post. If it is different you have to tell me and I will answer you again. The best adhesive IMO for fixing sandstone is Ardex X56. Most sandstone you think is uncalibrated and this is both true and untrue.

Sandstone tends to vary from about 12-14 mm on the edges and runs into the centre where it can be around 25mm. You definately need to back butter and fix the tiles with the normal twist and slide method. When it comes to grouting I used to use 10mm dowelling as my spacers (If I needed them) I also believe it's now possible to get 10mm spacers. Grouting these again as I always did with slate I mix up a sand and cement mixture but with 2.5 sand to cement and I add a yellow oxide to the mix for colour match. You need to make sure the edges of the tiles are wetted prior to grouting as this prevents the stone from pulling the grout in and giving you what we call picture framing.

Holohana please do not take this as a slight on you personally and i have no idea how experienced you are. Now that said I don't think i have agreed with Wetdec yet but on this stuff I do. You need experience to lay this stuff. In addition you could find the customer wants it laying without grout joints and that is a whole different ball game.

Kev

B

Branty

So what experiance do you have of fixing sandstone?
I've been fixing for coming up to 10 years, and I've fixed it once.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TilingLogistics

So what experiance do you have of fixing sandstone?
I've been fixing for coming up to 10 years, and I've fixed it once.

Danny I have never fixed a full floor from start to finish just repaired/relaid three different ones two were grouted and the other one wasn't:8:

Now pop off and go and do some Modding on your own forum

Kev

W

wetdec

I would think £35 m2 m8.

Have a look tomorro take account of thickness, whats on the floor now, is there a sealer supplied, whats the name of the product or where from. what colour and I can have a go for you m8.

PM me if you want no probs

tiler

H

Holohana

cheers Wetdec. You saying £35 plus mats or inclusive? Do you allow for using far more adhesive than you think if they are uncalibrated & large grout joints etc?

Reply to Sandstone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen