Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing damp carpet with tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

oafcmetty

Hi,

We live in quite a damp part of the country. In our dining room on ground level, we sometimes get water that seeps into the house, making the carpet wet (or soaking wet). This seems to be coming either up through the floor, or in at the base of the wall - not sure which.

The house is very old, so under the carpet is stone, rather than floorboards. We've not taken the carpet up fully, as it's glued down, we've only lifted a corner - so can't tell yet if it's a solid piece of stone, or what.

My question is - if we wanted to replace this carpet with tiles, would we need to do anything special? Would the tiles survive getting damp every now and again?

We're thinking of getting some tiles similar to this: Tiling terra cotta enamelled - brown with nuance - would these be suitable?

Thanks in advance!
Alex

G

grumpygrouter

You will need to get any water/damp issues resolved before tiling your floor, whatever tile type you choose. The ones you have selected particulary will cause problems as Terracotta is very, very porous and will soak up water from underneath like a sponge.

T

Terry Cottar

you need trace the sorce of the damp. i9t is likely if you live in an old house that there is no dpm you would need to get one installed even though you are having tiles fitted because if you dont the tiles will fail as well

tel

O

oafcmetty

you need trace the sorce of the damp. i9t is likely if you live in an old house that there is no dpm you would need to get one installed even though you are having tiles fitted because if you dont the tiles will fail as well

tel
Hi Terry - what is dpm? :smilewinkgrin:

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
agreed - unless you stop the damp problem first, you will always have problems in the future. If you go ahead and tile it, the tiles will debond and lift. The will probably discolour aswell (as they will get wet)

O

oafcmetty

What would be the approximate lifespan of the tiles, assuming we went for some hard wearing, non-porous ones?

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Oafy.........take note of wot is being advised.

Cure the damp problem first and foremost...............then, and ONLY then, think about tiling. Or you WILL be sorry :mad2:

Reply to Replacing damp carpet with tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen