Search the forum,

Discuss Removing Vynal tile glue in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

LM

its more than likely a multi purpose vinyl adhesive by the sounds of that and it is unlikely to be on too deep as it would have prevented the floor layer fitting the vinyl tiles properly in the first place. Use Ardex NA over it and you'll be fine.

S

Stephen Corbett

Hi All

Got to a job this morning. Customer has taken up old vynal tiles.

The glue under them is sticky to the point I have never seen before. It had torn apart my knee pads and the soul or my work shoes (granted they are old).

Razor blades are not making a dent in it.

Any ideas anyone?

I have sent customers out to buy some

NO NONSENSE HEAVY DUTY DEGREASER 5LTR From screwfid and some
TURTLE WAX TAR & GLUE REMOVER.

Any ideas anyone?

Sorry about the bold letters.
Try acetone in a very well ventilated area...

McLovin

TF
Reaction score
HI All

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay.

Ardex NA is my method of choice but the customer does not have the money for it. Its about 55m2 first floor. Also the have not been able to take the skirting off (glued and screwed) even though this was agreed previously.

At the moment The customer and I used industrial gunk (I can't remember the name) paint and glue remover on the floor. God it stinks. Its been scraped to within an inch of its life. Looked like all the glue came off. Filled two B & Q orange buckets.

Went back this morning and floor is still sticky. No glue that can be scraped off on it but still sticky (cannot be walked or worked on). I have primed a section of it with mapei eco prim to see how it comes up. It has dried well and is much less sticky to the point It can be worked on but you can still feel a slight tackiness.

I have left it there for today.

Ardex NA is not an option even though I have pushed it.

Whats everyones thoughts now? Would you proceed with be happy with tiling over mapei eco prim even tho it is very slightly tacky? Am I being over cautious?

I never got to try acetone unfortunately.

Customer says they are happy to take the risk (they are genuine) but they all say that till it goes wrong.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Q

Qwerty

Personally I would be happy to go onto that. I have had one similar in the past so I understand your concern

D

Dumbo

If you're worried and customer says they are happy to go against your advice send them an email to respond to saying that it is tiled at their liability

McLovin

TF
Reaction score
Personally I would be happy to go onto that. I have had one similar in the past so I understand your concern

Glad someone has come across this before. Its a new one to me. I feel happy enough with it but its good to hear someone say they have had the same circumstances as well. Thank you.

Reply to Removing Vynal tile glue in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen