Discuss Removing tiles and thinset to lay new ones in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Zach

TF
Reaction score
hi all. I have tried to see if there’s a thread on this already. Apologies if there is.

I’m buying a new build house that unfortunately already has kitchen and downstairs toilet tiles chosen. They’re already down And I really dislike them. So I’m hoping to remove them and the thinset and start again.

I’ve watched videos of people lifting tiles and then grinding off the thinset and the amount of dust etc this creates. I’m not fussed about the mess. I’m just concerned that having lifted newly laid tiles I’m going to give myself a huge job to rectify.

It’s a concrete pad so I’m assuming the following steps;
Lift tiles
Grind/scrape off thinset
Will I need to use a self levelling compound or is it likely to be ok once back to concrete
Remove skirting boards
Retile
Reapply skirting

Two further questions to this project would be;
do I need to have a joint between the rooms? (Kitchen, hall, downstairs loo)
The only porcelain tiles I’ve seen are 60x60 this seems like a massive tile for a standard hall would this be visually too big or is this the standard these days

Thank all

B

Bill

If you have no height issues and the 'thinset' is stuck well to the sub base, then simply self level over the thinset and tile away.

Zach

TF
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess the only height issue is that in the lounge I want hardwood so want to make sure these are relatively level transitioning from hall to lounge

EdMac

TF
Reaction score
Getting the old adhesive up turned out to be a much bigger job than I'd anticipated. A combination of a scraper, the 'Big Mutt Pro', hammer and chisel and an angle grinder got it back to concrete - but it took a while. I hired a tile lifter from SHS but it was crap - it just smashed the tiles up and didn't touch the adhesive. The tiles are easy to lift anyway.

You might find there is a SLC under the adhesive anyway, our house is not that old and there was an SLC down in the dining room but they had laid carpet over it so obviously it broke down so I had to take that up too.

D

Dumbo

Thanks. I guess the only height issue is that in the lounge I want hardwood so want to make sure these are relatively level transitioning from hall to lounge
Purpose made wooden threshold in doorway will get you over any transition heights

Reply to Removing tiles and thinset to lay new ones in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I’m new to this forum so apologies if already discussed but couldn’t find anything...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay