Search the forum,

Discuss removing a tiled floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me.We are thinking of putting an offer in on a house which has a large extension which is tiled with u/f heating The tiles are hideous and I would want to take them up and lay a different floor.Would this be possible? Could I lay wood or re tile? thank you xx

G

Gazzer

Is the under floor heating Electric or the wet type?
Even if you were able to remove the tiles it is very possible you would damage the heating system. If it were Electric then it may be worth a try especially if teh tiler had laid self leveling compound of the heating before laying the tiles.
If is the wet type then you should with care be able to reomove the tiles and re tile.
As for using wood then that would depend on the UFH manufacturers instructions.

U

Unregistered

Thank you it is the wet type as it runs with the rest of the heating. What about tiling over it I suppose we wouldn't feel the heat then!

G

Gazzer

It may be a possibilty but removing the tiles would be the best option as the pipe work should be below the screed and should not get damaged in the removal process as long as to lift the tiles as opposed to hacking them up.
Tiling over will reduce the heat but by how much i couldnt say plus there will be an extra height difference and its not an advisable method to tile over tile even though it can be done.

U

Unregistered

Thanks I really would prefer to take it all up and start again and lay wood or better tiles.You have been really helpful

Reply to removing a tiled floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen