Search the forum,

Discuss raised timber floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pursedog

what would you guys recommend to use on a raised timber floor before tiling.
last year when i first started i didnt use anything and very soon after the grout cracked and i was called back to repair it..over and over again.

now have a 25m2 kitchen to do. the floor boards are raised on joists.
wont make the same mistake again but the customer is looking at a fair few quid to prepare the floor before i even lay a tile.

i gather my options are backerboard which is easy to use, effective but costly or 18mm ply.

any advice?

D

DHTiling

What condition are the floorboards in.....just you saying the floor needs a fair few quid to prep it....

P

pursedog

dont know what condition they are in yet as they have a laminate floor on it at the moment. they have the flooring exposed in other rooms as they are doing quite a bit of work and it looks ok in there.
i have been told that the hardibacker boards will decrease the 'bounce' in the floor. dont get me wrong the floor is not like a trampoline but i dont want a repeat with what happened before on the other job.
ive calculated that materials alone to give me a suitable surface will be about £350-£400 including labour taking up old flooring.

G

grumpygrouter

By the sound of it with bounce in 25m2 the best option will be the ply. It is quite a large area and backer board doesn't add strength.

G

grumpygrouter

For strengthening BS states 15mm but that isn't available so it would need to be 18mm. What tiles are you laying?

P

pursedog

the client wants quarry tiles. they have not been purchased yet but if i ply and use these then the height difference to the next room will be massive.
ive explained this so its in their hands now.
its a tricky one but if they want the job to look good then theres no other way.

B

bigneil

the client wants quarry tiles. they have not been purchased yet but if i ply and use these then the height difference to the next room will be massive.
ive explained this so its in their hands now.
its a tricky one but if they want the job to look good then theres no other way.
If there is going to be a prominent height difference then suggest that they get a hefty wooden Threshold fitted, and cut the door to fit accordingly.

P

pursedog

i spoke with an experienced tiler friend today and he said to use 18mm marine ply. looked it up and is well expensive. what ply would you guys recommend?

W

White Room

They want the job done mate then their going to have pay for it, Quarrys look awful if the floor is all over the place, 18mm is the only way to go IMO As big neil says get a good solid threshhold

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to raised timber floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen