Search the forum,

Discuss Question About Tile Levelling Systems in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tile Shop

There have been a few post about different levelling systems recently. Read 'em, intrigued by them, but spotted a possible issue......

The Acorn system, the splines are available in 2 or 3mm thick, so they can be used as spacers also. Genesis straps are 1.2mm and Rubi are only 0.75mm, which is below the minimum requirement for a grout joint on both floors (3mm) and walls (2mm).

For those of you who have used these before, do you use them with additional spacers, or leave the joints at the strap thickness? And if so, am I missing something about the minimum grout joint requirements?

I've noticed a couple of pictures where spacers have been used, but they are not visible in the genesis video and they advertise that it leaves a "consistent professional 1.2mm grout joint".

Last edited by a moderator:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I always use (have to) spacers in addition to the lash clips.
Predominantly use them on floors so 3mm spacers used, certainly if heated.
If it's a small area and I think 2mm is plausible then ok. But 1.2? Not for me thanks.

I

Ian

For what limited experience I have with levelling systems, I use an additional spacer, all the straps I've seen so far are too narrow to use as a spacer.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Totally agree Brian, you only have to look at that post on gus's Facebook group , not the best tiling I've seen ;)

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Bloody expensive though.........if they were cheaper, then maybe, just maybe, they would catch on.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Bloody expensive though.........if they were cheaper, then maybe, just maybe, they would catch on.

This is what I mean, for the everyday job they're over priced.
When you're covering a large area and the tile size/material can really justify the use its not.
We'll, it's still just as expensive obviously and will add a considerable amount to a price. But, when Mr and Mrs Jones are spending £5k+ on tiles let alone UFH, screening, plumbers, ditra, etc it becomes a small price to pay.
Certainly to make a good installation a pristine one.

Reply to Question About Tile Levelling Systems in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen