Search the forum,

Discuss PVA too late? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tombward

Hello,

I have started to prep a wall for tiles in a bathroom, I screwed plywood to the wall (not a wall likely to get wet) to get a flat surface. The used normal PVA to seal in a 50:50 mix. The read the horror stories regarding PVA and not using it.

I then noticed evo stick have a water proof PVA which says it is good for tiling.

I have scratched the surface of the pva coated ply with an electric drill to scuff it up.

Should I re coat with water proof pva and hope for best?

Should I scruff up entirely and use different primer?

Thanks

Tom

D

diamondtiling

Cant you turn the ply around and use acrylic bond instead?
The pva is no good at all, it has to go.

A

Aston

dont try scratching it off, just give the ply a good rub with warm water and a wet towel and it will break it down.
then allow the ply wall to dry and then give it good rub down all over with sand paper, then apply an acryllic primer...

or if you have no worries regarding your budget, simply overboard the ply with a cement based backerboard and tile away.

T

tombward

Doing 'a good job' I stupidly did both sides, I will try the towel and warm water. I'm using wicks waterproof tile cement, any recommendation on acrylic primer?

Thanks

Tom

S

Scott

I wouldnt have used the ply either. Dump that adhesive too, get some cement based adhesive or you will end up redoing this all over again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Why ply in the first place? could be easier and quicker screwing plaster boards to the ply or wall if its solid and depending on what tile you are putting on it?
It all depends on what sort of quality you are trying to achieve, which is always the age old question.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I would go with Scottley on this. Use the same SBR primer as the powdered adhesive you choose:thumbsup:

C

cornish_crofter

PVA and Wickes are two terms associated with tiling nightmares of mine!

I've never used PVA for tiles but I have used Wickes tiling adhesive and I was left wondering how on earth they thought they could sell this stuff and get away with it!

Take it back, get a refund, and go to somewhere like Tile Giant and ask for a slow set bagged wall tile adhesive.

Reply to PVA too late? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen