Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss putting a niche in an external wall in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I guess as the box is not breaching the internal wall so there shouldn't be any thermal issues once the box is sealed to the extrior wall. It has to be fitted with a vertical DPC behind it on the interior wall as well.

Also according to my house builders bible the box is allowed to be fitted without a lintel so no structural issues there.

Diggy :0)

And again lads and lasses , what is the difference with said above hole and the one what was mentioned ? How can a EXTERNAL hole with a plastic box in it be ok but a INTERNAL hole cause problems like damp and thermal issues?

And ajax if it needs building regs it is just for them to come out and say " course you can do it, now give me X amounts of £ please, thankyou very much " :)
Good god you need them to fit a window don't you,its just a way of making more money half the time ;)

C

charlie1

If you can't make a niche within the block work and you don't have room to build out stud wall then only 2 other options remain, tell customer they can't have it or build an... Not sure what you would call this... A male niche? One that sticks out rather than sunk in.

P

Protilers

If you can't make a niche within the block work and you don't have room to build out stud wall then only 2 other options remain, tell customer they can't have it or build an... Not sure what you would call this... A male niche? One that sticks out rather than sunk in.

I have a photo of a "male" niche.........it confirms to building regs...........hehheheehhehheh.....hold on!

P

Protilers

this is it......
it is on an exterior wall.......

img2043dq.jpg

img2082hy.jpg

is this a male pigeon hole?.........hhhehehehhhehehe.....

most tilers never even see a building inspector.....do they?.........

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
this is it......
it is on an exterior wall.......

View attachment 52805

View attachment 52804

is this a male pigeon hole?.........hhhehehehhhehehe.....

most tilers never even see a building inspector.....do they?.........

Look nice lee, wouldnt call it a niche though, more like a tiled shelve unit :)

As for building inspectors, ive built a double extension on mine around 8 years ago , i saw him once when i was digging to china for the footings, aint seen him since that day, it aint been passed off yet :)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Look nice lee, wouldnt call it a niche though, more like a tiled shelve unit :)

As for building inspectors, ive built a double extension on mine around 8 years ago , i saw him once when i was digging to china for the footings, aint seen him since that day, it aint been passed off yet :)

He's coming round this afternoon, didn't you get the letter :sofahide:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Nah he has retired john.
I tried to get them round last year,they don't seem to be bothered, and im not :)

Could that be a problem when you come to sell or is it just say for example you build and don't have planning permission?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Could that be a problem when you come to sell or is it just say for example you build and don't have planning permission?

Yes john it could, thats why i got in touch with them, the wife wanted to move, but i took it off market after a few months, she changed her mind, blinking women !

N

Neil1436

Could you not just build a feature wall incorporating said niche or niches above the top of the bath on the existing wall, I did some recently that were only 80mm deep in the same situation, using studwork. Sort of surface mounted boxes if you like, but posh. They looked good in the end and the customer got there design.
Would love to hear an actual answer to the question!

Reply to putting a niche in an external wall in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks