Discuss putting a niche in an external wall in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

lmkitchens

Hi guys, looking at a bathroom design im doing and the customer has asked if I can install a niche behind the bath. Its an external wall.

Can this be done, obviously it can be cut out and a lintle installed. But what about sealing the cavity, what materials to be used etc.

Cheers, luke.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys, looking at a bathroom design im doing and the customer has asked if I can install a niche behind the bath. Its an external wall.

Can this be done, obviously it can be cut out and a lintle installed. But what about sealing the cavity, what materials to be used etc.

Cheers, luke.

that might require building regs approval as a "structural" alteration. Don't get caught out.... As for the rest.... No idea. :)

M

mattle40

Can you not stud the wall off? Obviously nobody wants to lose precious space but its gotta be a lot of hassle to do it by the book as you should with building control

L

lmkitchens

No space, putting the bath in a granite topped cradle and shoe horning in 2 x 600 vanity units. Thats my lot!

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
Could you not just build a feature wall incorporating said niche or niches above the top of the bath on the existing wall, I did some recently that were only 80mm deep in the same situation, using studwork. Sort of surface mounted boxes if you like, but posh. They looked good in the end and the customer got there design.

L

lmkitchens

Its something I may have to look at. Just its making its way into the area ofbthe bath which I was trying to avoid ):

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not really dave, if he takes bricks out and just sticks a 1x1 frame at the back of the brick not into the cavity ,he would get a 4" or more niche.only small but enough for some soap :)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
that might require building regs approval as a "structural" alteration. Don't get caught out.... As for the rest.... No idea. :)

Good god, really alan.
Thats total overkill on the planning department , bloody hell :)

D

DHTiling

Not really dave, if he takes bricks out and just sticks a 1x1 frame at the back of the brick not into the cavity ,he would get a 4" or more niche.only small but enough for some soap :)

I would not be doing it...

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Is the long wall of the bath internal ? If it was and there was a cupbaord on the other side you cut into that one maybe? Lot of work though for somewhere to put ones Loofer or shower gel :)

Diggy

Reply to putting a niche in an external wall in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks