Currently reading:
problem with british ceramic tiles

Discuss problem with british ceramic tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Installing a bathroom and the customer has choosen 600x300 Dorchester-Carrara tiles made by British ceramic Tiles.
Finding that some of the tiles are up to 2mm different in size and other tiles have blemishes or crack lines in the glaze.
Is this just a bad batch or are British tiles inferior to Spanish or Italian tiles.
Most of the tiles I fit are Porcelanosa so I may have been spoilt with quality.

S

Stef

Installing a bathroom and the customer has choosen 600x300 Dorchester-Carrara tiles made by British ceramic Tiles.
Finding that some of the tiles are up to 2mm different in size and other tiles have blemishes or crack lines in the glaze.
Is this just a bad batch or are British tiles inferior to Spanish or Italian tiles.

You see a lot more of it these days, some of British Ceramics & some of johnsons tiles are really bad.
God knows how some of them get through quality control.

BCT do seem to have gone down hill. There was a particular white matt tile 4 or 5 years ago I used to spec a lot, which was good quality and cheap! but don't anymore as it's just a terrible tile now with sizes all over the place and not even square

I know what you mean. How can they produce a tile over 2mm different with all the tiles having the same batch number.
Also the pattern in the marbling only seems to have about 3 different designs.

S

Stef

I used some inkjet ones from TG a few times now and sizes have been ok but there have been blemishes in the glaze and quite often the print is missing along an edge.
Are these actually made in Britain or just boxed here?
If made here then it's certainly nothing to be proud about!
The best ceramics I've used aside from Porcelanosa have all been Chinese.

The last Porcelanosa I fixed weren't very smart & not very flat, wasn't impressed at all.
Fitted Chinese ones & they are very good tiles, can't remember the make but made in GuangDong province.

Kito, I think??

I

Ian

I've done a couple of bathrooms with their new 'HD' range, I thought they might be really nice with such a fancy name but, no, same old out of square, sizey rubbish. It reflects on the overall finish when tiles are so poor, the only way of disguising the variations in joint size, is to use a grout as close to the tile colour as possible, a contrasting grout draws your eye to any discrepancies.

W

WetSaw

jaqypuda.jpg

That was the problem with these, cream tiles with grey grout.

P

Paul Bleasdale

The problem with tiles made of wall standard clay being called wall and floor tiles is now a if problem in our industry. I wish manufactures would by now have realised that they are not suitable for wooden floors or ufh. It is up to Tilers to refuse to fix them . Problem is clients usually have bought them and can be reluctant to change them

J

Joseph Kover

Yep, I have just told the same few days ago in other thread. Rubbish.

BCT do seem to have gone down hill. There was a particular white matt tile 4 or 5 years ago I used to spec a lot, which was good quality and cheap! but don't anymore as it's just a terrible tile now with sizes all over the place and not even square
Hi there, I am currently in a dispute with the liquidators of BCT regarding some pallets of matt white tiles that were sent that the sizing was all over the place. I have to get expert opinion on the tiles, but cannot due to lockdown. Would you be able to provide me an expert opinion . . .. assuming you are a "suitably" qualified person. Regards Jenny
[automerge]1588846027[/automerge]
Here some pics of the BCT tiles I wrote this post about.
View attachment 57304 View attachment 57303 View attachment 57305

Thanks to all for your feedback.
Hi there, I am currently in a dispute with the liquidators of BCT regarding some pallets of matt white tiles that were sent that the sizing was all over the place. I have to get expert opinion on the tiles, but cannot due to lockdown. Would you be able to provide me an expert opinion . . .. assuming you are a "suitably" qualified person. Regards Jenny

Reply to problem with british ceramic tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement