Discuss problem with british ceramic tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Installing a bathroom and the customer has choosen 600x300 Dorchester-Carrara tiles made by British ceramic Tiles.
Finding that some of the tiles are up to 2mm different in size and other tiles have blemishes or crack lines in the glaze.
Is this just a bad batch or are British tiles inferior to Spanish or Italian tiles.
Most of the tiles I fit are Porcelanosa so I may have been spoilt with quality.

S

Stef

Installing a bathroom and the customer has choosen 600x300 Dorchester-Carrara tiles made by British ceramic Tiles.
Finding that some of the tiles are up to 2mm different in size and other tiles have blemishes or crack lines in the glaze.
Is this just a bad batch or are British tiles inferior to Spanish or Italian tiles.
Most of the tiles I fit are Porcelanosa so I may have been spoilt with quality.

You see a lot more of it these days, some of British Ceramics & some of johnsons tiles are really bad.
God knows how some of them get through quality control.

C

Colour Republic

BCT do seem to have gone down hill. There was a particular white matt tile 4 or 5 years ago I used to spec a lot, which was good quality and cheap! but don't anymore as it's just a terrible tile now with sizes all over the place and not even square

Reaction score
BCT do seem to have gone down hill. There was a particular white matt tile 4 or 5 years ago I used to spec a lot, which was good quality and cheap! but don't anymore as it's just a terrible tile now with sizes all over the place and not even square

I know what you mean. How can they produce a tile over 2mm different with all the tiles having the same batch number.
Also the pattern in the marbling only seems to have about 3 different designs.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Yep did a shower enclosure before xmas, similar thing, mis-sizes and also curved on a 250x330. Shocking really, used to go out with a girl and her chest was flatter than the tiles from BCT

W

White Room

Fixing British ceramics in a bathroom at the moment and 2mm difference in sizes, don't make the job any easier....

O

One Day

I used some inkjet ones from TG a few times now and sizes have been ok but there have been blemishes in the glaze and quite often the print is missing along an edge.
Are these actually made in Britain or just boxed here?
If made here then it's certainly nothing to be proud about!
The best ceramics I've used aside from Porcelanosa have all been Chinese.

S

Stef

I used some inkjet ones from TG a few times now and sizes have been ok but there have been blemishes in the glaze and quite often the print is missing along an edge.
Are these actually made in Britain or just boxed here?
If made here then it's certainly nothing to be proud about!
The best ceramics I've used aside from Porcelanosa have all been Chinese.

The last Porcelanosa I fixed weren't very smart & not very flat, wasn't impressed at all.
Fitted Chinese ones & they are very good tiles, can't remember the make but made in GuangDong province.

Kito, I think??

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
BCT are rubbish , wrong sizes , not square , cracking in the glaze etc etc..... how they get away with it is beyond me! Wonder what standards tile manufacturers have to adhere to !??

T

Time's Ran Out

There is a saying that a poor workman blames his tools!

However when it comes to British Tiles this often has to be the case as we get the blame for these poor quality ceramics if fixed.

But this is far from a new problem IMHO as English tiles has always been of a lower quality control in the 40+ years I've been in tilling !

W

WetSaw

It's the same with some Spanish tiles. Just laid 450 x 450 floor tiles, 2 - 3mm difference in size and more belly than a Tellytubby

C

charlie1

This is the tile I'm laying just now, I haven't had any problems with it although I am using a 3 mm joint.

S

Sean SML Tiling

It's the same with some Spanish tiles. Just laid 450 x 450 floor tiles, 2 - 3mm difference in size and more belly than a Tellytubby

I also just done a floor with same size tile and used 5mm spacer but these were johnsons. shocking tiles!

afright

TF
Reaction score
Johnson was a good make in the 70s & 80s but must agree they have gone down hill a bit there wall & floor tile range are rubbish.

Reply to problem with british ceramic tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks