Discuss Porous grout lets water behind tiles and marks when wet in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

ggodart

I've just had my bathroom tiled by a 'professional tiler' and now when the wall gets wet the water penetrates through the grout and into the tiles which then shows up as a dark mark.
The tiler is blaming the tiles, they are cheap DIY ones unfortunately and the glaze does not go around the edges very far, this is made worse by his grout which doesn't lie flush with the surface everywhere. How do you suggest I fix this, get him to dig the grout out and do it again, or will a 'tile and grout' seal do the trick?
Thanks

D

DHTiling

Hello and welcome..

Do you know make of tile, make of grout .. and some pics would help of the grouting.

M

Mike Mike

Cementious materials, like grout, allow water to penetrate them. That is a law of chemistry. It doesn't matter if it says "waterproof grout" on the packet, the only truly waterproof grout is epoxy resin, which is used in hospitals and restaurant kitchens, but costs about 4 times more per m2 to have installed than your tiles cost.

Please upload a photo of the tiling, and a close-up if possible of a tile where the grout is sitting below the glaze on the edge of the tile, if indeed it is. The fact that it isn't sitting flush with the surface of the tile is irrelevant, it shouldn't do, especially if they have any sort of bevel, otherwise the grout lines would look about 10mm wide, which would look unacceptable.

A tile sealer will not stop water penetrating the grout. Nothing will, except epoxy resin grout.

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
totally agree with Sweedish Mike,most grouts are only water resistant and there is a big difference between that and waterproof grout who supplied the materials?phone him ask his advice if he is a pro tiler i wouldnt imagine he would leave you in the lurch so to speak, give him a chance first,but then again if you have used cheap tiles adhesive and grout well i tend to feel a bit for the tiler as you cant make a silk purse out of a pigs ear

B

Billy Hunt

Some of the cheaper red biscuit tiles are prone to this i'm afraid,bar regrouting with epoxy can't see any solution TBH.
It shouldn't have any long term issues with the tiles as they should dry out as normal when not wetted.
I assume the tiler has tanked the area?

Reply to Porous grout lets water behind tiles and marks when wet in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley