Currently reading:
Porcelthin Advice

Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelthin Advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

H

hmtiling

These are the beasts I'm on with
IMG-20160509-WA0005.jpg

L

LM

Well you need to make sure you get that install right.
The experience that both Marc and Ray have shared with me today I think is invaluable, their time and effort in trial and error in exploring what is the most effective fitting method and with which type of adhesive at what consistency, with tiles this size and the fact that they freely share that is to be applauded and to be ignored at your peril.
I don't often get to fit formats of this size therefore my experience with these sizes is limited and God knows how many metres I'd have fitted before I'd arrived at their conclusions.
So for me it's an easy one thanks to them, 10mm Ragni all the way!

H

hmtiling

Well you need to make sure you get that install right.
The experience that both Marc and Ray have shared with me today I think is invaluable, their time and effort in trial and error in exploring what is the most effective fitting method and with which type of adhesive at what consistency, with tiles this size and the fact that they freely share that is to be applauded and to be ignored at your peril.
I don't often get to fit formats of this size therefore my experience with these sizes is limited and God knows how many metres I'd have fitted before I'd arrived at their conclusions.
So for me it's an easy one thanks to them, 10mm Ragni all the way!
Totally agree with you mate.

S

SJPurdy

serrate one way with the ribs top to bottom to break the ribs you want to move the tile left to right .next you need to
flat scim the back of the tile 1mm will do. this will stop the adhesive grabbing the tile and will help roll over the adhesive ribs so the tile floats into position .

so the same as for all other medium-large format tiles.

O

Old Mod

What are you using to cut them & lift them?
I noticed in another thread you're quoting for a porcel job Stef,
d'u get it?
Praps your question was a bit more general than how I read it.
I use 4 different methods of cutting.
Depends on what I feel like on day and type of cut tbh.
I use Ray's speed cutter on repeat cuts typically.
Then it's a toss up between the 1280 sigma and my Montolit Flashline, which I do like a lot. That's a 3.6m slide cutter. And exceptional value for money!
That notwithstanding, if I was to choose again, I may go for Antonios Freecut instead. More expensive tho. (Quite a bit)
And there's the trusty grinder with the right blade. (Important decision to be made there I feel)
As far as handling goes, I've not actually tried a carrying system, but I believe they can be a hinderance rather than a help. But I feel sure I'll buy one one day! Haha single handed operating vacuum pumps I reckon will probably be the best solution.
The best tips I could give u on handling are, don't clump them on walls or doorframes when moving them, especially if they've had a checkout cut in them!
If you're gonna stand them on edge, make sure it's ALWAYS the longest edge!
If you're gonna stack a pile against a wall, make sure both the tops and bottoms of each tile are touching each other. (No voids between tiles)
So pretty much all common sense stuff, nothing u don't already do!
And if this isn't what u were asking, :D it don't matter cos it's made sitting in rush hour traffic on my way to work, far less painful! :p
Ps. Nearly all of this I've been lucky enough to pickup thro working alongside Gary & Ray!

S

Stef

I noticed in another thread you're quoting for a porcel job Stef,
d'u get it?
Praps your question was a bit more general than how I read it.
I use 4 different methods of cutting.
Depends on what I feel like on day and type of cut tbh.
I use Ray's speed cutter on repeat cuts typically.
Then it's a toss up between the 1280 sigma and my Montolit Flashline, which I do like a lot. That's a 3.6m slide cutter. And exceptional value for money!
That notwithstanding, if I was to choose again, I may go for Antonios Freecut instead. More expensive tho. (Quite a bit)
And there's the trusty grinder with the right blade. (Important decision to be made there I feel)
As far as handling goes, I've not actually tried a carrying system, but I believe they can be a hinderance rather than a help. But I feel sure I'll buy one one day! Haha single handed operating vacuum pumps I reckon will probably be the best solution.
The best tips I could give u on handling are, don't clump them on walls or doorframes when moving them, especially if they've had a checkout cut in them!
If you're gonna stand them on edge, make sure it's ALWAYS the longest edge!
If you're gonna stack a pile against a wall, make sure both the tops and bottoms of each tile are touching each other. (No voids between tiles)
So pretty much all common sense stuff, nothing u don't already do!
And if this isn't what u were asking, :D it don't matter cos it's made sitting in rush hour traffic on my way to work, far less painful! :p
Ps. Nearly all of this I've been lucky enough to pickup thro working alongside Gary & Ray!
That's a perfect reply to my questions, cheers Marc.
Gary phoned me for the job then Ray gave me a buzz, I'm in the process of pricing up the job as its through Ray & he has put my name forward for it.
I was looking at buying a Kera Cut but not sure whether it's worth it yet & also looking at the Kera Lift but again not sure.
The job I'm looking at has a lot of cutting & although I've got one of Ray's speed cutters I feel that the Kera Cut would help the job if I get it.
Gary was telling me he was working with you on jobs, I wouldn't mind coming down for a couple of weeks to work along side Gary & Ray to get in about some porcel-thin.

O

Old Mod

That's a perfect reply to my questions, cheers Marc.
Gary phoned me for the job then Ray gave me a buzz, I'm in the process of pricing up the job as its through Ray & he has put my name forward for it.
I was looking at buying a Kera Cut but not sure whether it's worth it yet & also looking at the Kera Lift but again not sure.
The job I'm looking at has a lot of cutting & although I've got one of Ray's speed cutters I feel that the Kera Cut would help the job if I get it.
Gary was telling me he was working with you on jobs, I wouldn't mind coming down for a couple of weeks to work along side Gary & Ray to get in about some porcel-thin.
The freecut system I feel is better because it is more slimline. Suckers within the runner! Others have suckers to the side which makes it very wide limiting it at times, well that my opinion anyway.
And if u are bored there's some staircases here u can come play on for a week! Haha

Reply to Porcelthin Advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement