Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Porcel-thin On Ditra Matt in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
We have to rip out 132 sqm of Porcel-thin fitted 5-6 months ago,many of tiles cracked.Fully bedded the ditra and tiles.Who's fault? IMG_0636.JPG IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0636.JPG IMG_0645.JPG Start again with Hardie Backer and 1200 x 600 x 12 mm IMG_0648.JPG IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0652.JPG

Last edited:
S

Spud

I fitted it Ed 3 years ago, it is reception floor for an office building called orion house ,
The floor was fine for the first 18 months then a new client took over the building and started using pallet trucks to move heavy equipment from oneside of the building to the other, the floor underneath is a raised access steel tile ,the building owner got his guys to screw down the metal tiles then put plywood over the top, they were told not to use pallet trucks over the floor but drove a cherry picker in there to fix a leak in the roof so the floor wjich was designed for foot traffic has been used like a loading bay

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I fitted it Ed 3 years ago, it is reception floor for an office building called orion house ,
The floor was fine for the first 18 months then a new client took over the building and started using pallet trucks to move heavy equipment from oneside of the building to the other, the floor underneath is a raised access steel tile ,the building owner got his guys to screw down the metal tiles then put plywood over the top, they were told not to use pallet trucks over the floor but drove a cherry picker in there to fix a leak in the roof so the floor wjich was designed for foot traffic has been used like a loading bay
Right Gary,as you can see the tiles and ditra was fully bedded,so not fitters fault. I remember Ray have one tile fitted in his showroom and nothing happend if you go with trucks over.IMO is ditra,agree with hmtiling.Its a shame,nice work for nothing!

S

Spud

Its may be a factor Ed ,we use tilemaster antifracture under porcelthin these days , but that floor would stiil be fine if it were used as intended ,rasied access floors arent designed to have machines driven over them

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I worked for the developer since 2007 ,9 years Ed and have tiled all their homes , I gave him your number when he needed a new tiler as I am off work sick at the moment
I take pictures for show to the developer,as you can see was really hard to take out tiles and ditra,coverage around 90% on tiles and ditra fully of adhesive,come out just small pieces!

Q

Qwerty

If the purpose of this thread is to find who is at fault, then clearly it's the business owner or operator of the cherry picker.

If however the purpose is to identify how it failed, then I suggest it's as @GaryTheTiler stated, the floor has been used beyond its capabilities.

Any ideas on the tech side of this one @Schlüter-Systems Ltd ?

H

hmtiling

Right Gary,as you can see the tiles and ditra was fully bedded,so not fitters fault. I remember Ray have one tile fitted in his showroom and nothing happend if you go with trucks over.IMO is ditra,agree with hmtiling.Its a shame,nice work for nothing!
It was Gary who advised me to use the tile master membrane.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

it would be interesting to know how many tiles were broken i can see a couple of mats at the front that maybe
covering broken tiles but none in the pictures .

Reply to Porcel-thin On Ditra Matt in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks