Discuss Poor tiling job in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Yes stu that’s what I’d do but the law says I must give him a chance to repeat and rectify, which I really don’t want to do.

Reaction score
Can I get some advice regarding this job.

the builder who carried out the work has asked to visit my house to view the job and discuss it. I am not happy to do this, as he had ample time to carry out a hand over and for me to identify any issues with him once he completed the job. He did not do this and simply left the job after finishing it (to his standard) and posted the key through the letterbox.

i have text him stating we can have a telephone conversation and take things from there, which he refuses. I am aware the law sets out no obligation on myself to let him into my house to view and discuss.

frustratingly, I have a tiler ready to go and take out his mess of a job and redo the tiling. Wish I’d known of this company beforehand. Needless to say I will do everything I can to make people aware of the standard of his work, or should I say, lack of it.

any thoughts?

D

Dumbo

Can I get some advice regarding this job.

the builder who carried out the work has asked to visit my house to view the job and discuss it. I am not happy to do this, as he had ample time to carry out a hand over and for me to identify any issues with him once he completed the job. He did not do this and simply left the job after finishing it (to his standard) and posted the key through the letterbox.

i have text him stating we can have a telephone conversation and take things from there, which he refuses. I am aware the law sets out no obligation on myself to let him into my house to view and discuss.

frustratingly, I have a tiler ready to go and take out his mess of a job and redo the tiling. Wish I’d known of this company beforehand. Needless to say I will do everything I can to make people aware of the standard of his work, or should I say, lack of it.

any thoughts?
How I see it is that you are not asking for advice on your job, you are asking for advice on your next action, this question is probably best put to a solicitor rather than taking legal advice from a tiling forum .

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Sounds like you aren't really being reasonable in letting them come view your snags and perhaps rectify the issues? This is something that would most likely go against you should you wish to take things further.

Reaction score
I get you, it does sound reasonable maybe, however I would strongly suggest they are more than snags. He shouldn’t have made off quickly and posted the key through the letterbox before handing over. I offered to start the negotiations by firstly telephone conversation, he refused. that would have been a good start.

D

Dumbo

You're right opening negotiations by telephone is definitely the way to go , so if you phoned me up and said you were not happy ( that's a start) I would say, I better come around and see you so you can show what you're not happy with so we can discuss resolving the issues.
If at this point if you said no I would think you were being unreasonable and just trying to have me over .
[automerge]1572934515[/automerge]
I understand you are upset over this but If you are going to take a legal route on this you will not be looking very reasonable at the moment , as I said before if you feel so strongly about letting him in your house I suggest you contact a solicitor and get their view .
[automerge]1572934624[/automerge]
And all this about making of quickly and posting the key through the letterbox , that is irrelevant , he thought he had finished so he left .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thanks.

I was thinking about this job.

Having finished and left the job he then invoiced me. This demand for money is because he believes it has been carried out with reasonable care and skill. Otherwise why would he do this? My opinion defers on the job being completed to this level of reasonable care and skill, which I have stated to him. By him coming to my house and discussing this won’t change my opinion and based on his demand for payment won’t change his. Therefore if he wishes to de ode it ultimately he will need to go to court.
I have been advised there is nothing that states I have to let him in to view the job again and conducting matters in writing is in the best interests of both parties should this matter go to court.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was of the understanding you had to give the installer fair opportunity to rectify any issues you have before going to solicitors and court.
How is that going to happen if you won’t let him in?

Reaction score
Yes, of course I will give him the opportunity, but in essence he left the job without consultation and invoices me. I’m just making a principled point that if he invoiced me he must think it’s been done satisfactorily.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Well it kinda seems you have an answer in your head that your waiting for someone to agree with but i don't think that any of us here can agree with that approach. this comes from us possibly having to be that person on the other side. I too would think you were at it if you wouldn't let me see the faults in person.

I totally understand you dont want that company to fix it but sadly you need to let him try rectify it. Your agreement could very well end up being that he doesn't and calls it quits.

The point your making although i see that too won't stand, think of a new build house that could have numerous if not hundreds of snags (as per a recent documentary) and it would have still seemed satisfactory at the point your mortgage lender handed the money over also. You still would have had to let them in to see them and resolve them.

Reaction score
Thanks Tony, I see your point.

I will again suggest we have a telephone conversation prior to any viewing. This will set out what we both want from the meeting. I think that’s at least meeting him half way initially.He is however an absolute cowboy imho

Reply to Poor tiling job in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks