Search the forum,

Discuss Polished Porcelian marked by Masking tape in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deeky Boy

Hi all,

Went to have a look at a job tonight, Customer has had 24m2 of black polished Porcelain (NOT the B & Q ones tho) floor tiles on their kitchen floor, the problem the customer has is marks around every tile caused by the Tiler using 50mm masking tape, I’ve never heard of doing it this way. Only reason he must have used the tape was to stop the tiles from being marked with the grout which is light grey. To be honest it is not that bad but certain ways the light catches the tiles you can see the marks faintly.

It looks like the adhesive from the masking tape has when into the pores in the tile.

I asked the customer if the Tiler had sealed the tiles when he 1st was out laying the tiles, they are saying he never even opened the bottle of sealer as seal is still on it!

They tiler has been out 3 times using various cleaners (brands unknown) to remove the marks but it’s not made any difference.

Customer wants me to lift the tiles and fix new tiles basically like for like, the tilers public liability is paying out for the cost of the repair; I just feel it’s a lot of work to put right a small mistake.

What im wondering has anyone else come across this problem and if so what did they use to remove the marks?

Any suggestion pls

W

White Room

Never of that before, if he had used a decorators low tack he would'nt have any problem.

I bet he used the bog standard stuff and left it on to long so some of the glue remained.

Try some white spirit in a small area and see how that works

D

Deeky Boy

Thanks Whitebeam for your dam quick response :thumbsup:

I will try this as nothing to loose. Customer is just getting fed up with the situation and just wants it resolved.

I do understand what the tiler was trying to do but unfortunately it has back fired

T

Terry Cottar

Thanks Whitebeam for your dam quick response :thumbsup:

I will try this as nothing to loose. Customer is just getting fed up with the situation and just wants it resolved.

I do understand what the tiler was trying to do but unfortunately it has back fired

Apply some Aqua Mix Sealing & Coating Remover and let it dwell for about 10 minutes. Then wipe off and rinse with warm water and dry. Only do a small test area first to make sure it works. If it doesn't repeat the above only this time add some Aqua Mix Nanoscrub and agitate with a white emulsifying pad. Then wipe of an rinse with warm water. Should sort it.

tel

M

MarkyD

Anything oily will remove the residue (Baby oil, WD40, Olive oil etc). Test a small hidden area first to make sure the tile doesn't soak it up

--
Mark

E

enduro

Anything oily will remove the residue (Baby oil, WD40, Olive oil etc). Test a small hidden area first to make sure the tile doesn't soak it up

--
Mark
I would not put anything oily near the tiles, i would use Acetone to remove this, cheap alternative is nail polish remover. I have used it loads of time to remove solvent based stains on tiles. :thumbsup:

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I think there are a few guys on here who drink it....:8:

More than a few me thinks :lol:
8.gif

Reply to Polished Porcelian marked by Masking tape in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen