Discuss Please review my proposed sequence in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mache

Hi Guy's, been a member a short while since planning a new shower room install. Trying to take as much information in preperation as I can. I've completed basic structural work on the room and soon ready to start final boarding and tiling and wondered if you would review/advise if my thought processes seem sensible. Room has floor space of 6.8m2 in a small L configuration. Shower area will be Impey easy deck 1200 x 900, BTW toilet with concealed cistern, basin on countertop.

So far completed
All subfloor plumbing and electric runs completed.
Floor leveled (now within 1/8"), strengthed and 18mm thk plyboarded glued and screwed, noggins at all ply edges and joins and at mid ply width span across joists (max joist spacing 350mm).
Floor Insulated between joists with 25mm thk Celotex.
Walls stripped of all orginal plaster back to block work. Battened with 4 x 2 CLS and celotex insulated between battens.
Pretty sure battens are within 1/8" across any wall span.

Now my thoughts on the next stages.
1. Backer board walls with Hardie 500, glued and screwed to battens (turbogolds).
2. Next may be contraversal, but bear with me. Tank walls in shower area and basin area with minimum 1mtr past wet areas.
3. Tile walls missing bottom row. Tiles are 10mm thk glazed porcelain 600x300. Adhesive, tilemaster setaflex-white.
4. After walls are tiled, return to floor area starting with Hardie 250 set on SPF (6mm notched trowel) and screwed (turbogolds again)
5. Insert and install Impey easy deck. Tank floor with Impey Waterguard, finish bottom section of wall tanking down to the waterguard.
6. Lay EUH mat and set in approx 6 - 8 mm thk levelflex SLC.
7. Lay floor tiles, 600 x 600 version of wall tile with 50x50 mosaic in shower former.
8. Set bottom row of wall tiles, cut to fit accordingly. I would like to plan for a 10-15mm max cut off so not noticable against the original 300mm height.
9.. Grout floors/ walls, silicone at wall/wall and wall/floor joints. Grout 3000 and Silicone 3000 respectively.

Why this sequence ?, ok thoughts are that it will be my first major tiling project. Not over worried about the challenge but causiously aware that no matter how good the structural prep is (which i am happy with) I could screw it all up on the finishing tiling if I don't take a lot of care. Hence
1. I might be doing a lot of excess movements across the floor, much more than you experienced pro guy's.
2. I might even drop a tile or something stupid and I don't want to risk excess traffic or pyshical damage to a laid, tanked SLC'd floor with EUH cable installed.
3. Yes I probably will be slopping a bit of adhesive around as I am developing the knack of handling, and for sure i expect I will be pulling a few tiles back off and on at times so not sure if having to scrap off adhesive would be detrimental to SLC if I happened to drop a few blobs on the floor and didn't notice untill they had gone off.

Issues
1. Doing floor from ply up after walls are tiled I think is very unconventional at the least.
2. Not sure if wall tanking sections can be applied at different times. i.e. no good tanking almost to bottom of walls and them coming back a week or two later to finish down to floor tanking as new to old tanking may not take properly.

So is what I plan possible or would it be best to complete the floor upto SLC completion and wall tanking prior to start of wall tiling, and just protect floor with triwall cardboard or 6mm thick ply/ hardboard sheets while walls are tiled.

Sorry for the long post but would appreciate any valued input, or your recommended sequences.
Yes I do expect to be advised to get a professional in !! I probably won't, but a would consider paying a tiler to come round for an hours advice if you recommend anyone in the west cumbrian coast area who would be willing put a few solid pointers my way after seeing the current layout/status. This not because I don't trust tilers, but that I really want to have a go myself. I am also a realist and if after the first row of tiles on wall one I can see it's not going to work out then yes I would succumb to my limitations.

Thanks
Martin.

M

mache

You will need to fit the tray and finish the floor before any tiling or tanking.

Hi Chalker, thanks for the confirmationwhich I thought would be the case. I'm guessing that you recommend this to ensure the inegrity of the tanking, which clearly is the prequisite for the longevity of the installation.
Martin.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Chalker, thanks for the confirmationwhich I thought would be the case. I'm guessing that you recommend this to ensure the inegrity of the tanking, which clearly is the prequisite for the longevity of the installation.
Martin.
You got it!

Reply to Please review my proposed sequence in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Hi, and thanks for any advice. After pulling over 900 lbs of dead weight in the center of my...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay