Discuss Please help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Seanf

I'm in the process of tiling my bathroom floor, (13"x13" 8 mm B&Q cheepo) I just cant manage to cut tiles round the sink and toilet and since they are cemented down I have to tile round them. I have a 500W wet cutter great for the strait cuts roto zip but no tile bit (and cant find a stockist) but have the grinding blades and a jig saw with tungsten carbide tiles blades, any ideas the best way to tackle this problem,

Ta.

D

david campbell

cut out the shape with a piece of paper(paper being the tile,placing it next to the nearest tile) then transfer this over the tile,cutting many small difts into the tile then removing them with a pair of nippers,file down tile and voila! job done

S

Seanf

I have cut templates out to the correct size I just can't manage to cut the tile without it breaking, the toilet 1 is the hardest only about an inch left on the front and left / right side of the tile. I have managed to cut a semi circle aprox 3 " diam for the waste pipe took 35 mins with the jig saw. for the toilet I did try drilling lots of holes round the shape to be removed but that failed.

H

hillhead

I use a grinder and it works a treat for me,very handy if you line it out with joints running into toilet etc.

D

diamondtiling

Hi, are you sure they are cemented down and not siliconed? if its silicone you could cut it out to remove them, if you dont feel confident about doing this then you could make a template to get the right profile. Cutting around pedastals and loo's come with experience so maybe your not ready just yet, take a piece of card or paper and lay it beside your last full tile nearest to the pedastal/loo, allow for your grout line, take a marker pen or preferably a pencil and mark around the ped/loo, you then have a line on the paper that you can cut out and then transfer to your tile, you can then cut out this waste with your wet cutter, use tile nibblers to get it just right, when you put the tile in place you should have a small 2mm gap between the tile and what you have cut around, after all the cuts are done and you have grouted silicone around the ped/loo so that the cut cannot be seen.

good luck and take your time, use protective eye wear when cutting

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

I have cut templates out to the correct size I just can't manage to cut the tile without it breaking, the toilet 1 is the hardest only about an inch left on the front and left / right side of the tile. I have managed to cut a semi circle aprox 3 " diam for the waste pipe took 35 mins with the jig saw. for the toilet I did try drilling lots of holes round the shape to be removed but that failed.

Just take your time, let the cutter do the work and dont push the tile too hard, take out little tiny bits if you have to, practice on an off cut.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

S

Seanf

100% cemented down, I have the templates cut (i used the old lino flooring we had)

D

david campbell

make sure you hold the tile firmly while wet cutting the drifts and make sure it stays really wet to avoid any jumps,realistically you should have set out the tile so you have more left on it(bit late now if the rest of the floor is down,but you'll know the next time)

D

DHTiling

Silly question but you have water in the cutter and the blade is suitable for the tiles you are trying to cut..?

D

doug boardley

I'm in the process of tiling my bathroom floor, (13"x13" 8 mm B&Q cheepo) I just cant manage to cut tiles round the sink and toilet and since they are cemented down I have to tile round them. I have a 500W wet cutter great for the strait cuts roto zip but no tile bit (and cant find a stockist) but have the grinding blades and a jig saw with tungsten carbide tiles blades, any ideas the best way to tackle this problem,

Ta.
does David at Tradetiler stock them, great prices and superfast delivery:thumbsup:

S

Seanf

The tile saw blade is fine as it cuts straight no problem its just I never had to cut curves before, and yes there is plenty fo water, I keep the Reservoir full.
I have 19 spare tiles left so will carry on util I get it right.

Thanks for all the advise

S

Seanf

Its all done at last, took a while for the one round the toilet, but got it done in the end.

Just one more thing, what the best thing for cleaning tile cement off the tiles, I have a few spots that I missed when the cement was still wet, and this quick dry stuff just wont come off.

Reply to Please help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley