Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Please be patient to a newbie..... in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

welshgal

Hi all, have enjoyed reading forums, and though i'm not a tiler, i would appreciate some advice. Here goes....

I have just had my bathroom walls covered with plaster board. I would like this tile inside the shower cubicle;
Dune Quarzita Brick | Tilestop
Is water likely to seep through? Could i prevent it from doing so? Am i better off forgetting it and choosing something else?

Thanks in advance.....

U

user123

:welcome: Good lord, tough to keep clean and mold/soapscum free and tough on elbows! I wouldn't, I really wouldn't. It's the tanking underneath the tiles that stops water ingress, get a pro in :thumbsup:

M

Mike

Oops wasn't quick enough there.....will it need tanking for "normal" tiles?
yes it's highly advisable. it's the grout which water can penetrate but if the walls are tanked and a cement based adhesive is used no damage will be done.

D

DHTiling

Hi and welcome.

Honestly, they are not advisable in a shower. They don't get grouted.
Soap etc will get in and then stink , possible mould.

Feature walls but not showers IMO.

W

welshgal

I was having a usual blonde moment....:oops:

mike...my tiler intends to use "aqua board" will this be ok?

Thanks for all the welcomes btw! You friendly bunch!

G

Gazzer

Not for me, I can see problems ahead using these tiles in a shower, I would advise against it.

bobbynz

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please dont use this in your shower, the finish on this stone will be a magnet for soap scum and bacteria and you will be forever scrubbing these walls. Its a great stone by the look of it but for practical reasons it's just not suitable for a shower and the conditions that are generated in a shower area.
And yes imo tanking the showerbase and walls would be a good idea as tiles and grout should never be considered as part of a waterproof system.:thumbsup:

M

Mike

aquaboard is debatable as whether it's waterproof or not. the joints and corners need taping and sealing and to make sure i'd do the boards as well

Reply to Please be patient to a newbie..... in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks