Search the forum,

Discuss Painted Plasterboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I normally remove paint before tiling by what ever means is best for the walls. I have just looked at a job which is painted plaster board. The boards have been taped and jointed then painted. The paint seems well adhered but i'm not sure about tiling on it. what are peoples thoughts.

Thanks

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I normally remove paint before tiling by what ever means is best for the walls. I have just looked at a job which is painted plaster board. The boards have been taped and jointed then painted. The paint seems well adhered but i'm not sure about tiling on it. what are peoples thoughts.

Thanks

I wouldn't tile onto paint, that's all that will be holding your tiles on the wall mate.....sand it all off & get back to the boards.....

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
I always assessed each job individually and if I could I would remove and replace the boards. For health reasons, time and mess....in that order.

S

SJPurdy

some addy instructions say definite no, others ok to tile if paint well adhered (strong sticky tape pull off test). good quality paint soaked into the paper face of plasterboard is going to be hard to remove without wrecking the paper face as well. In a perfect world replace plasterboard or overboard with new layer of plasterboard or backer board.

O

On one

As above....on painted PB the integrity of the PB will be wrecked trying to remove the paint,
Overboard with PB or cut out the old PB and reboard.
If you have cut out the old PB and are worried about damaging the ceiling boards,just cut out the board 50mm shy of the ceiling.

F

Flintstone

If it's well on, check it with gaffa tape stuck on well then peeled off. If that didn't pull it off I would happily tile on it. It's mainly when you get a thick layer of paint or paint that's glossy etc when it's a no no.
I've tiled over painted plaster many many times when it's just had a quick sealing coat of white on it.
I once had a lengthy chat to tilemaster about it and they basically said the same

S

scotmk

Whoever built my house must have used the crappiest paint ever, I made rooky mistake when I first started dining my house starting tiling the bathroom and next day they all fell of because the paint just absorbed the adhesive and it fell off. I then scrapped all the walls back to PB, scored the walls and redone, stuck solid and have done for last 6 years.

Reply to Painted Plasterboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen