Discuss no confidence for Travertine job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bluevin123

Hi,
I have been tiling for 2 years now and have done about 35 various domestic jobs, of which every customer seems to be happy with which is pleasing.
I hate tiling bathrooms because of the size and the awkwardness and lately have had bad walls.
I now realise this is my fault as I should get the customer to have them plastered to make it easier for myself and to get a better finished look.

The last job I done was a bathroom for a mate and I used 6 tubs of Bal green star,it was 15.5m2...mad I know and not good,but it looked ok in the end and he was more than happy...I pretty much had to back butter every tile and it took me four days to tile.:whistling:

Ive just got really fed up with tiling lately and maybe fancy trying something different from tiling, I just seem to have all the crap jobs and have a nightmare on each one, I know it is lack of experience but its bloody frustrating at times.
The ideal would be to work alongside another tiler just to see how they work, and try to speed up.

Anyway a friend put me onto a bloke who's renevating a house to sell.
I didnt really want to do it as my confidence has been knocked a bit, but I looked at the job and it is two bathrooms, one is gonna have a bath and the other a shower...It is completely empty and it is just plaster board and plastered walls which I hope should go up a treat...This I am starting on Monday...He also wants the whole ground floor tiled, it is just over 50m2 and he is using Travertine...this could be a nice earner but I feel it could be too big a job for me and dont wish to look an idiot.
I have never touched Travertine,let alone work with it, and have heard it can be a nightmare to work with.
It starts in the hallway and goes into about three rooms,I know it would need expansion joints and the setting out could be a nightmare...do you think I should stay away from that job? Im not even sure how to price it.
Im on day rate next week and could be for that,but not quite sure what to do.
Any ideas folks?
Cheers.
Vin.:rolleyes5:

Oh he wants it layed on underfloor heatin too.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

I am going to be very abrupt here and say that if you have fixed 15.5m2 of tiles using 6 tubs of adhesive then you need to get yourself on a real course for tiling. I know you read these forums, i have seen you on here before.
I really dont think you are qualified to fix travertine at all.

A tiler would not have used so much adhesive, They would have prepared the walls or had them prepared.
I feel you are way out of your depth.

B

bluevin123

Fair enough Sir Ramic for your harsh words,
I know a tub should do 4-5 mts and certainly wont make that mistake again and I did go on a very good course, but I think most of the learning is done on the job.I know a lot of good tiling is based on the preperation and didnt realise I would use that much adhesive when I began.
Will certainly prioritise the prep from now on.

D

DHTiling

The main issue Vinny...is that dispersion adhesive ( tubbed ) shouldn't be used thicker than 3mm really...thats 3mm finished bed depth....

As for the travertine...maybe it is a big project for a first time but that doesn't say it isn't achievable...:thumbsup:

D

david campbell

also i wouldn't advise you use dispersion adhesives in a wet area such as a bathroom,at the very worst white star or someting similar!

when you are laying the travertine i would suggest you read some of threads on the forum very carefully,take your time and do the prep work properly as these are expensive tiles and could land you in a bit of hot water if you don't leave a good job!

good luck with the job and don't hesitae to ask for help:thumbsup:
for trav i would be looking at £**m2,expansion joints every 4m or when going over different substrates,use white adhesive,make sure the tiles are sealed properly maybe several coats as they can stain very easily,make sure your wet saw is spotless before you start preferably a new blade!

W

White Room

This should be in the arms so some solid advise can given on the pricing side to help bluevin

W

White Room

More detail on the floor as in screed etc would be helpful, the size of the hallway and the rooms. Is it the setting out that also bothers you, travertine I've found is flat which makes the job alot easier

R

Rob Z

Hi Vinny, The best thing that you have going for you right now is that you are wanting to do good work and are thinking about some important issues BEFORE the job and not once you've started (like I see a lot of guys doing :mad2: ).

My advice is to see if one of the experienced guys on this forum will work out some sort of a split with you for this job, you follow their lead and do everything that they direct you to do, and make a few bucks while you are learning on the job. This is a big job to tackle for your first one of the kind and you could really get hammered on this one.

It's a fine line to know when you should stay away from a job and not get burned and having the nerve to tackle something big and end up pushing your self to a new level in the trade. Best of luck on this decision-only you know what you are ready for.:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

I would take Rob's advice on this one Vinnie, your customer will appreciate you admitting it may be a little out of your scope but at least you found someone to do it for him and your earning and learning at the same time.

When you go to a job that has poorly prepped walls/floors then stand your ground mate, tell the customer what needs to be done and how much it will cost before you take on the work, if they are genuine people looking for a first class job then they will accept what you say, if they expect you to just get on with it then you don't need them so just walk away. You will start to get a better class of customer by doing this.
Good luck to you.

:thumbsup:

F

Fekin

also i wouldn't advise you use dispersion adhesives in a wet area such as a bathroom,at the very worst white star or someting similar!

On good walls, I don't see a problem with dispersion adhesive in a everyday family bathroom, just avoid the silly adhesive depths in future :smilewinkgrin:

Personally, I wouldn't touch the Trav job unless you got someone experianced to work with you, and really would have to be paying them a good bit more than yourself for the pleasure too :lol:

All in all though, it would work out well for you, you get the job done well, learn while your doing it and get paid too :thumbsup:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Vin, I think by now you know that putting green star in a bathroom is a no no. So enough said on that one. Doing anything for the first time is very scary. I’m currently trying to do 30sqm of UFH with SLC on top. Neither of which I have used before. My Wife has noticed that I am very apprehensive about it and she is staying out of my way! I did my first travertine job about 6 months ago. It was 12sqm of wall and 3sqm of floor. All the info needed for the job was found on Tilersforum. I was lucky because it was for a friend of a friend and I threw in some free plumbing work. It took me a lot longer than I thought. The results were brilliant, and the customer very happy. Like yourself I’ve only been tiling 22months, but 50sqm of travertine would still scare me. The house is empty you say, this is a massive plus point. However, do not estimate the length of time it takes to cut each tile. Would you feel happy accepting day rate and only laying a few tiles? Personally I would go in with a price. That way you will work without the added pressure that you are ripping off the customer. Good luck with the bathrooms, hopefully they are standard white tiles? If you feel that the travertine/expansion joints/different rooms is too much then be honest. You could maybe pass the job onto someone else (on this forum) and maybe work a couple of days free of charge. Good luck. Sean

L

LM Ceramics

6 tubs of adhesive is alot alot ive just completed a bathroom 23 m2 of ceramic and used 4 and a half tubs because the walls weret as good but now i work for someone else so i have no say in preperation work i get told to get it done because ive been tiling for nearly 4 years on and off i can tile a little quicker. Had this been a job of my own then i would have advised prepping the walls or else i wouldnt have touched it as it was my reputation at stake.

We all have bad days were we question ourselves but try and be abit more confident in your abililty i would take the trav job on you have been tiling for 2 yrs now you should be ok at it just take your time with setting out make sure the substrate is nice and flat even if it takes you a few hours to set out just do it then away you go if you feel like your struggling then call on help but im sure you ll be fine have some confidence pick yourself up and start again we are all still learning

and as for tubbed adhesive i have to agree with fekin i use tubbed adhesive in everyday bathroom areas for ceramic depending on size most adhesive companies say they are suitable for bathrooms and kitchens but i would tend to use BAL green star or white star though

B

Brindle

Planning it all carefully is half the battle. I did my biggest floor job recently, similair to yours only this was 100 m2 complete ground floor, brick bond Trav. Took my time in setting it all out with good cuts everywhere, used the right adhesive, good sealer, customer is 100% happy with the result. Wetroom also in the same trav.
It can be done, just check and re-check everything, especially on your setting out.
Good luck mate

P

penno

Do NOT turn down the work as a floor like that would be a brilliant learning curve for you, however DO NOT do it on your own.
Loads of tilers on here who i am sure would be willing to jump on a nice trav job, get someone with you with plenty of experience.
If needed mate just labour on someone and watch and learn.

Although you maybe busy taking down that bathroom after 15sqm took 6 tubs, the adhesive will be soaking wet.

Reply to no confidence for Travertine job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks