Currently reading:
Newly tiled hallway but gaps all around the edges

Discuss Newly tiled hallway but gaps all around the edges in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Tapatalk is playing up. Cant like or multi quote it seems.

If skirtings are 10"-11" high and you don't want to take off then i under-cut. Or cut tiles within 3 or 4mm and silicone the perimetre joints.
If the skirting is newly painted id think about using white. But colour co-ordinated i think is better.
If the skirting is to be painted then seal after or tape the boards and seal. The tape will leave i nice straight line to make decorating easier. Any paint that the shakey hand gets on the bead simple wipe off with a baby wipe or peel of when dry with your finger nails. Simples.
With UFH i insist theu come off and suggest the option on all other occassions. Its a far better finish.
Ive fitted 1000's of linear metres of skirt over the years. I scribe in my corners rather than mitre too. ;)
Because its a better finish!

C

charlie1

Tapatalk is playing up. Cant like or multi quote it seems.

If skirtings are 10"-11" high and you don't want to take off then i under-cut. Or cut tiles within 3 or 4mm and silicone the perimetre joints.
If the skirting is newly painted id think about using white. But colour co-ordinated i think is better.
If the skirting is to be painted then seal after or tape the boards and seal. The tape will leave i nice straight line to make decorating easier. Any paint that the shakey hand gets on the bead simple wipe off with a baby wipe or peel of when dry with your finger nails. Simples.
With UFH i insist theu come off and suggest the option on all other occassions. Its a far better finish.
Ive fitted 1000's of linear metres of skirt over the years. I scribe in my corners rather than mitre too. ;)
Because its a better finish!

Always scribe mitres with coping saw, it's the only pro way to do skirting! (Thumbs up)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
nice neat job John but im thinking we are talking about skirting boards here are we not

Not sure if it makes a difference tbh Brian. The wood is a natural product and expands and contracts whether it be skirting or architrave. I finish all jobs the same whether it be a terraced house with 6x6 whites or like these Porcelanosa tiles in a £750K house.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Would still grout it could be solid floor,if the tiles are cut tight looks better than silicone.
And leave it more prone to failure. It is a movement joint designed to allow movement. Grouting would restrain it and potentially cause tiles to pop.

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
Ok.....on a similar vein.

Do you remove toilet/sink in a basic bathroom floor job. We all know it's a better job if you can, but how many of use do plumbing as well.
I know I don't as I hate pipes and plumbing......but, I'm not covered by my insurance if it does go belly up and floods downstairs or whatever.

cut around both.........and leave few mm gap and then silicon.

There, I said it now. :smilewinkgrin:

Q

Qwerty

Im still waiting for the diamond chap to explain his comment ?

What....this one?

What a good thread to identify the cowboys

It's an opinion, don't let it get to you. I do have to agree to some extent though (if I'm thinking the same thing).........nearly every shoddy cowboy tiling job I've seen to date has grout in all movement joints and not a drop of silicone to be seen. I assume this is what he was getting at?!

Now before any of you throw your teddies out of the pram and put a price on my head, I'm not saying it is the cowboy method and those that grout the edges ARE cowboys......I'm just merely making an observation that this is what cowboys tend to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

beanz

TF
Berkshire
What....this one?

It's an opinion, don't let it get to you. I do have to agree to some extent though (if I'm thinking the same thing).........nearly every shoddy cowboy tiling job I've seen to date has grout in all movement joints and not a drop of silicone to be seen. I assume this is what he was getting at?!

Now before any of you throw your teddies out of the pram and put a price on my head, I'm not saying it is the cowboy method and those that grout the edges ARE cowboys......I'm just merely making an observation that this is what cowboys tend to do.

From what I can tell, this is what most tilers do.. I've only been doing bathrooms for about 5 years, and have never seen a movement joint in the corners etc.. I've also never seen any evidence of tenting, and I'd say the majority of bathrooms I rip out, have been there for 20 years.

Reply to Newly tiled hallway but gaps all around the edges in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement