Currently reading:
Newly tiled hallway but gaps all around the edges

Discuss Newly tiled hallway but gaps all around the edges in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

I now always silicone the skirting and ceiling joints. I used to grout, but found the finish of silicone that bit neater and peace of mind that it won't crack.
Gotta agree Geoff, tight silicone bead matching grout at every transition. I do a large number of loft conversions, stacks of movement over a 12 month. Personally I think it lifts the overall appearance when carried out by a silicone expert! (Which I'm not!) always get someone in.

C

charlie1

and what happens then if there is movement or am i missing something here,does your skirting move with the floor because it has silicone there, there maybe movement after you have tiled no?

you do realise I'm talking about lateral movement only, any other movement would be tile failure. The whole point of the silicone joint is to stretch or compress ( because it can (grout not so much)) yes, the skirting will swell and move throughout the year, that's the reason I'd be wanting room for expansion.

C

charlie1

I agree Charlie,I'm some circumstances you really should take them off,like UFH ,you really have to take skirts off,that's a obvious one Charlie .
But if the customer says they don't want too,for any reason,(like say they have just spent a grand decorating,mistakes happen Charlie :) )
Do you walk away or do the job.

the example I showed you was a brand new 400k house wilder, I would never allow a customer to dictate how I do my job with certain aspects, yes, they can pick trim or finish but that's it. So, for your 1k decorating scenario I'd walk unless I thought I could do a good finish and low risk of expansion. Nothing is ever black or white though.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
the example I showed you was a brand new 400k house wilder, I would never allow a customer to dictate how I do my job with certain aspects, yes, they can pick trim or finish but that's it. So, for your 1k decorating scenario I'd walk unless I thought I could do a good finish and low risk of expansion. Nothing is ever black or white though.

I do agree mate that it's a better job with em off,but half the houses I do would have sometimes 10/12" skirts on what are nigh on impossible to replace,so I'd be sat at home half the time twiddling me thumbs .
Even the old terrace house skirts which were plastered down too,which there are thousands around here,I'd be replastering half the room if I took the skirts off,impossible to take them nuggets off without any damage

C

charlie1

dont be waiting for my responce on this again lol ,i really cant believe some of the things that are said on here,ok just one more repeated question and one new one,do you build it into your price for misshapps ? and secondley how are you testing the studded to lever of the skirtingwithout causing damage

you just can't help yourself eh! I never add on any extras (well very rare occasion), I give a quote and that's it. Studs are very easy to find on a a stud partition, at the start, then the end and usually every 400 mm in between but there are other tell tale signs.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Finishing off around door architrave on job I've just completed.

Silicon.jpg

you just can't help yourself eh! I never add on any extras (well very rare occasion), I give a quote and that's it. Studs are very easy to find on a a stud partition, at the start, then the end and usually every 400 mm in between but there are other tell tale signs.
asking a question that wasnt answered that was all ,problem with that?

Reply to Newly tiled hallway but gaps all around the edges in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement