Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie questions, tiling up to door frame in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

meclive

Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice. I'm a total tiling novice about to embark on my first go at tiling, so please bear with me if these are stupid questions!!

Firstly when tiling up to a door frame, should I just grout up to the frame or do I need to use sealer (I've read you need to do this with the wall corners otherwise the grout would crack when the walls move)?

Secondly, I can't seem to find the right point to start tiling. Wherever I seem to choose it leaves a small gap (of between 5 - 15mm) either above the window or over the door that would need to be filled with a tiny cut of tile. It's an odd shaped room with two windows 9of different sizes and one slightly lower than the other!), an air vent and sloped roof so not the easiest to start with on my first go but what the hell I might as well try! Any advice other than run a mile??

Thanks.

Edit: will try and get a picture up if it helps?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

The door frame.. some use silicone and others use flexible caulk..

The room, then a pic would deffo help us see what you have.

R

Rich

Id use a silicone that is a colour match to the grout, dont buy any old rubbish as it wont last very long. Pics would be very helpful. Also would be a help if you could let us know what size/type tiles you will be using and any adhesives/grouts/primers you have. :thumbsup:

D

david campbell

i also use silicone
can you introduce a border/listello to change your heights?:thumbsup:

C

CJ CERAMICS

sorry missed the second part of the post....lol i think pictures of the areas would give us more to work with

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi mate and:welcome: as above pics would help, keep asking, you are in the best place:thumbsup:

Reaction score
:welcome: Matching silicone is the one for me for door frames/architraves and any other movement joints. Trade Tiler do coloured silicone for £1.77 per tube, the best price around imo, and 1 day delivery to me, also got a text from them at 11.58pm!! (woke me up :yikes:) to let me know that delivery was coming the following day :thumbsup: excellent service guys.

Reply to Newbie questions, tiling up to door frame in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen