Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss New bathroom install - stud wall question in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

sam_b

Been silently surfing in the background for a few days before signing up to get a few folks thoughts on a new bathroom I'm putting in.

I'll be building some new sections of stud wall for a shower cubicle (1100 x 900 - 1 existing brick/skimmed wall and the other 2 new stud sections). I'll be using shower panels inside the enclosure instead of tiling for ease of maintenance etc, probably with classi seal around bottom join.

Any suggestions as to the best product to use for the new stud wall sections:

Plasterboard (skimmed/unskimmed/tanked?)
Marine ply (tanked?)
Aquapanel (tanked?)
No more ply - believe it's waterproof from what I gather.

The floor's currently chipboard.... not my doing..... so I'm planning on taking it up and replacing with 18mm ply.

If tanking is the preferred option is there a particular one recommended, membrane v paint on? I see a sticky in one of the other forums mentioning the Mapei Shower Waterproofing Kit?

Thanks in advance,
Sam

M

Mike

i would use the aquapanel which is waterproof, just tank the taped joints. if the chipboard has no deflection then you could leave it there and just overboard with cement boards using spf and screwed every 150 mm, even if you decide to replace with ply you would still be better laying cement boards on it as wood is not a good substrate to tile on.

T

Tomtiler

as above and yes i have used the mapei tanking kit many times so id recommend that one

S

Stevoe

As above, when I did mine, I constructed a timber frame then screwed Wediboards onto that, taped all the joints with the wedi stuff, it is stuck on using waterproof adhesive then again over the top of it and all the screw heads were taped and covered in addy. Then tiled it and then did the floor, I did put two layers of 18mm ply over the chip board floor as suggested from this site and then wedi boarded that with one of Wedi's preformed floors, that was two years ago and no problems at all.

M

Mike

As above, when I did mine, I constructed a timber frame then screwed Wediboards onto that, taped all the joints with the wedi stuff, it is stuck on using waterproof adhesive then again over the top of it and all the screw heads were taped and covered in addy. Then tiled it and then did the floor, I did put two layers of 18mm ply over the chip board floor as suggested from this site and then wedi boarded that with one of Wedi's preformed floors, that was two years ago and no problems at all.
i bet you didn't need any steps to reach the ceiling :lol::lol:

S

sam_b

Cheers for the replies guys.

Chipboard flooring is coming up anyway as there's a fair bit of re-piping to be done, section under the bath was already water damaged as well.....

Seemed to be a few conflicting comments on aquapanel being truly waterproof, as opposed to just not breaking down after contact with water?

Being in N.Ireland local sourcing the various boards is a bit of a pain in .... sometimes. B&Q do aquapanel (not the cheapest I dare say but an option) and I had found a place that did "no more ply", hadn't looked into any others yet.

Best job for sealing the floor to the wall sections around the shower cubicle just the tanking kit I guess, I see some places that do preformed corner membrane pieces.

Maybe I should confirm it's not a "wet room" type setup, there'll be a shower tray going in for the shower cubicle.

S

Stevoe

i bet you didn't need any steps to reach the ceiling :lol::lol:
Strangely I didn't!! But seriously, the floor level was around 45mm below the door level so two layers of ply, plus a liquid screed over the electric heating plus a decoupling membrane then tiles, I stuck my hairbrush on the ceiling with some left over addy and now save time brushing my hair in the morning (if I duck) I can even scratch my back!:smilewinkgrin:

S

sam_b

Meant to ask about the tanking kit too. Is it particularly "thick" when set, I was planning on building the new stud sections around the shower tray so I wouldn't want to do that, tank it and then find out it's a tight squeeze to fit the tray back in.... :oops:

M

Mike

it's quite thin really, probably a millimetre a coat, most tanking kits recommend 2 coats

S

sam_b

Just an update after I emailed Knauf to check the waterproof properties of AqualPanel:

Quote:

"[FONT=&quot]Aquapanel is not a waterproof product. Aquapanel is made from Portland Cement and is very porous. Water can pass through the panel but it will not be affected by water ingress"

[/FONT]
I guess it's on with the tanking kit over the whole lot.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

G

Gazebo

As you say Knauff Aquapanel is not waterproof but it doesnt break down or expand when wet.

It is designed only for stud walls as any moisture that passes through it can then disipate in the void.

It only comes in 1200mmx900mm sizes and you have to use the dedicated aquapanel screws (ceramic coated I think)

You then either leave a small gap betwen boards to fill with aqaupanel jointing silicone or with jointing tape and addy.

Hope this helps.

Go for marmox or wedi board if you want waterproof thermal boards or just tank plasterboard with Bal Wp1 or homelux matting.

Reply to New bathroom install - stud wall question in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks