Search the forum,

Discuss New bathroom - Acceptable tiling? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tile Shop

Thank you all for your feedback.

I'll raise all my concerns with the builder on Tuesday. It annoys me that people don't hold themselves to a high standard and makes me feel like I'm the bad person for raising these problems.

Now the issue is, if this is his best work and can't possibly do better, do I ask him to contract a tiler himself? I do feel bad for all the wasted work and materials and getting a tiler myself doesn't seem fair.

Don't feel bad. If thats the best he could do then he should have held his hands up and said he was no good at tiling before wasting all the materials. That would have been you're opportunity to get a professional.

But still, give him a chance to see if he can fix it. If he says no, he needs to be paying you back to cover the remedial costs. Whether it be removing a few tiles or stripping them all of.

T

Tilerdurden

I may be misunderstanding your statement, but the work contracted was to redo the whole bathroom, including walls, plastering etc. If the walls were not in a proper state for tiling, that's something he should have corrected.

Point I was making. He has failed to take adequate steps to ensure a high quality job. Earlier images showing where has packed out tiles with adhesive demonstrates that.

I certainly wouldn't be recommending him for his tiling "expertise". It is a shame that you've been let down like this. That's the inherent difference between a tiler and a "tiler" a tiler knows how much tolerance he has in terms of flatness of substrates a "tiler" will wing it.

Certainly not bad for raising any issues with any tradesman who you're paying to carry out works. I'm sure if you were underperforming at work there would be some kind of procedure to address this. It's no different. You have hired him and put trust in him to carry out a job which he has assured you he is qualified to do. Clearly there's been some misinformation here. Standard procedure in terms of you hiring someone else and deducting from his bill if he's not able to rectify himself. At the end of the day it's whatever you are willing to accept.

Reaction score
Not sure if thats an external corner shot (and if so its location in the room) but I've seen those with extremely sharp edges, and rarely uniformly neat - would those experts on here suggest a trim or 90 degree joint ?

T

Terry the tiler

Yeah hate to say it but I agree, rough as it comes. The man has no pride in his work. And shouldnt class himself as a tiler. He didn't advertise as handy man did he you know the type can lay bricks plaster do basic plumbing, electrical tiling and roofing.......never trust them guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tilerdurden

Funny thing is , tiling is probably the hardest trade to get right , but second to painting and decorating , the one that most people.ignore or take for granted.
Tiling is the face of any project , not an afterthought , when will people learn

Finishing trades get left all the rubbish too. Yeah the tiler will fix that. Yeah the painter will sort that. All trades should take pride in their work.

T

Tilerdurden

Yeah hate to say it but I agree, rough as it comes. The man has no pride in his work. And shouldnt class himself as a tiler. He didn't advertise as handy man did he you know the type can lay bricks plaster do basic plumbing, electrical tiling and roofing.......never trust them guys.

Like Bruce lee once said "I don't fear the man who's practiced 10000 kicks once I fear the man who's practiced one kick 10000 times" no I've not been drinking it makes perfect sense. Stick to what you know and do it right.

C

clint dennis

Hi all,

I've got someone doing my bathroom and yesterday they finished tiling. I've been going through the result and I'm not impressed with the quality.

Can you have a look and tell me if I'm too picky?

My issues:
- Some of the tiles are chipped (average sized finger for scale)
- In the far areas (far corner and top edge) they're not cut off straight.
- You can see one that's glued with a lot of adhesive and that changed the line on the wall.
- In a corner they don't match the height.

I've seen a lot of comments around how the grout will fix things. Would that apply to me? Would these issues be less visible through grouting? We are looking at a light grout (silver/ light grey).

Thanks,
George

View attachment 91620 View attachment 91621 View attachment 91622 View attachment 91623 View attachment 91624 View attachment 91625 View attachment 91626 View attachment 91627 View attachment 91628
uncalibrated slate tiles not the best to buy i personally wouldn,t have taken the job on

Reply to New bathroom - Acceptable tiling? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen