Search the forum,

Discuss Natural stone in swimming pools in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Matthew77

Just pricing up a big job involving fixing 20mm thick limestone to block work and screed in a swimming pool. The only swimming pools I've ever tiled were fixed with mosaics and although I often fix this stone to floors using white weber SPF or tilemaster ultimate. I'm not sure if ideally a more suitable adhesive should be used for use under water? Ideally a rapid set for the floor and then a standard set for the walls. The screed is just being laid now so I'm thinking the ultimate adhesive would be suited as it's ideal for green screeds. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Another question. Usually I seal the stone before grouting with LTP colour intensifier then again after. I plan on using a sealer before grouting to stop and grout staining the stone and making the washing off easier after. Are sealers like LTP colour intensifier suitable for use under water and will the chemicals be safe in a pool or will they leech out into the water?

thanks

Matt

C

Concrete guy

When I was importing stone we got involved with an Architect that liked to use stone in swimming pools. There's no reason it can't but used, but the chemical side was a bit of headache.

First thing you need to know is what treatment system is being used in the pool, once you know that, it's a case of calling the sealant manufacturers and getting them to spec the correct products for the stone/treatment system.

M

Matthew77

When I was importing stone we got involved with an Architect that liked to use stone in swimming pools. There's no reason it can't but used, but the chemical side was a bit of headache.

First thing you need to know is what treatment system is being used in the pool, once you know that, it's a case of calling the sealant manufacturers and getting them to spec the correct products for the stone/treatment system.

I believe it has a natural filtering system i.e. without the use of chemicals

Reaction score
Oh yes its OK with a natural pool /pond but not ideal in a sanitised swimming pool as the chemicals often react with alkalinity in the stone and make the water go milky, seen it a few times......i have done a few natural pond pools with Pacelight :thumbsup:

M

Matthew77

Oh yes its OK with a natural pool /pond but not ideal in a sanitised swimming pool as the chemicals often react with alkalinity in the stone and make the water go milky, seen it a few times......i have done a few natural pond pools with Pacelight :thumbsup:

Thanks.

So no different from standard stone fixing to concrete floors/walls, just make sure the adhesive and grout is suitable for swimming pools. Right?

Ive emailed the company installing the pond for a adhesive and grout spec

M

Matthew77

Update: The base of the pond will be a floating 1mm thick EPDM waterproof membrane I'm guessing this is a no-no for tile adhesive or are there any adhesives that will fix to this? I've been advised that the stone for the base of the pond can be fixed using a 20mm sand and sulfacrete mortar base.

Can anybody advise on this please?

thanks Matt

J

jonnyc

My experience with limestone in pools is that I have fixed copings that are semi submerged in deck level pools and pool steps submerged and have never had a problem . The only problem I have encountered is when the pool surround stone has had chemicals from pool left on surface for a while . Usually when people are trailing pool water over surround on way to jacuzzi.chemicals on certain limestones can disintegrate stone to dust.

Reply to Natural stone in swimming pools in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen