Search the forum,

Discuss Minimum grout joint in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

petetiles

I am tiling a bathroom floor using a marble effect fairly high glazed 600 x 300
mid grey porcelain tile. Tile manufacturer states best overall finished look comes with minimum grout joint gap , using convention tile spacers the gap looks too big and spoils overall sheet-marble effect. Any tips for ensuring minimum
gap consistent throughout job would be appreciated.

H

Holohana

well you can get spacers of all sizes 1mm, 2mm and up. You will need a grout line of some size for movement surley.

R

Raja

agree with both above looks nice with 1mm grout joint good luck hope to c some pics in the gallery

J

james

1mm gap in places the tiles are likely to touch.
i think its 3mm bs on floors but each to their own

G

grumpygrouter

Is the floor concrete, is it heated? These are relevant to the grout lines size. If it is a wooden floor 1mm might be a bit tight as it would be if it is heated because of potential movement. If it is unheated concrete/screed then you may get away with it. 1mm doesn't give much leeway for errors and it is easy to loose the line if it is so tight IMO.

As James says check British Standards - I even think they stipulate 5mm but I am not sure.

Grumpy

P

protilers

also check with the grout manafacturer........
mapei ultracolour is one of the best grouts on the market and on the bag 2-20mm!

p.s you will find it impossible to tile with 1mm spacer if your tiles are not rectified....

p.p.s natural stone tiles are either "harrised" or not....if stone tiles have a "harris"
then a 1mm spacer will create a 3mm joint approx. if you have a straight cut tile ie. rectified but not harrised then i would use a 2mm spacer....

D

DHTiling

BS 5385 is 3mm for floors....but that is just a guide line not regs.....2mm will be fine...i wouldn't go any smaller than that due to tile tolerances...plus tight joints won't accept enough grout....good luck......

P

petetiles

Many thanks to all who reponded. As it is an unheated wooden floor, overlaid with plywood, there is bound to be some slight movement. I will offer up a 2mm spacer, to see if it looks okay before fixing and if necessary come down to a 1mm spacer if this improves overall look. Thanks again great forum.
regards
petetiles

Reply to Minimum grout joint in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen