Search the forum,

Discuss Microfibre Cloth For Grout Wash Down in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Grouting with a microfibre cloth.

I stopped using a washboy a couple of years ago.
I've now virtually stopped using sponges.

I'm using a microfibre cloth to wash down after grouting. I've used this method for the last few jobs and i'm getting great results.

I can wring out more water from the cloth and if used correctly it has 8 clean surfaces to clean the grout off the tiles. i.e. fold the square cloth in half and half again. So you only use a quarter of the cloth at any one time.

I polish off with a dry microfibre cloth.

Anyone else use this method?

J

J Sid

if your talking floors, I used to use old woolen jumper. would leave perfectly clean with one pass.

M

MTiler

I rarely use sponges too. I started using sponge clothes to clean down epoxy grout as they have a tighter 'nap' and are a fraction of the cost of cellulose sponges. I then started to use them for cement based grout and I use old cotton tshirts to polish off.

S

Stef

Grouting with a microfibre cloth.

I stopped using a washboy a couple of years ago.
I've now virtually stopped using sponges.

I'm using a microfibre cloth to wash down after grouting. I've used this method for the last few jobs and i'm getting great results.

I can wring out more water from the cloth and if used correctly it has 8 clean surfaces to clean the grout off the tiles. i.e. fold the square cloth in half and half again. So you only use a quarter of the cloth at any one time.

I polish off with a dry microfibre cloth.

Anyone else use this method?
Has the grout fully taken up in the joint before you start cleaning?

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Has the grout fully taken up in the joint before you start cleaning?
Grout as usual and clean up as usual. I normally wait till the grout has firmed up a little bit more than if I was using a sponge. The microfibre cloth is much better at removing grout off the face of the tile.

S

Stef

Grout as usual and clean up as usual. I normally wait till the grout has firmed up a little bit more than if I was using a sponge. The microfibre cloth is much better at removing grout off the face of the tile.
I would be worried that I couldn't get a clean finish on my grout line if I left it too long.
I like to run my finger down the join if need be but it must also be wet (softish) to smooth it out.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would be worried that I couldn't get a clean finish on my grout line if I left it too long.
I like to run my finger down the join if need be but it must also be wet (softish) to smooth it out.
I know what you are saying Stef. I have to sometimes run my finger down the line or spot fiĺl and smooth over holes in the grout. For me using the microfiber cloth does not leave any lines or marks on the grout. If it did then i would not be using them. Grout - wash off - 2nd wipe down - buff.

I first used this method on smaĺl metro tiles with great results. Works a treat on matt porcelain too.

However i did use a blue dry microfibre cloth on anti slip tiles on a wall and the cloth got shredded by the roughness of the tile! Blue fibres in the air for ages.

I

Italy

I know what you are saying Stef. I have to sometimes run my finger down the line or spot fiĺl and smooth over holes in the grout. For me using the microfiber cloth does not leave any lines or marks on the grout. If it did then i would not be using them. Grout - wash off - 2nd wipe down - buff.

I first used this method on smaĺl metro tiles with great results. Works a treat on matt porcelain too.

However i did use a blue dry microfibre cloth on anti slip tiles on a wall and the cloth got shredded by the roughness of the tile! Blue fibres in the air for ages.
you mean
first pass. with sponge and water.
then
finish with cloth?

Reply to Microfibre Cloth For Grout Wash Down in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen