Discuss Marble floor needs re-grouting in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

barclay1406

Hi Guys and Girls,

Im just after more advise here, but i've been asked to go and look at a job where the grouting needs redoing and a tile needs to be lifted and relayed.

The problems are the tiles are large, around 600mm and are marble, Also ive been told the grout lines are very close together. (not sure on size). What is the best way of lifting a tile, especially that size and where the grout line is small without damaging any other tiles??

Also will i have to remove the current grout first or does it depend on what it look like? I believe the grout is all cracked, would that be because to moisture has been sucked out of it?

I'm yet to look at the job myself but wanted abit of advise before i do.

Thanks
all

Steve

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Removal is easy, cut out the old grout around the damaged tile with a Stanley knife, being careful not to slip, then 'bash' the tile with a hammer to get it to break and lift the pieces out, as for the re-grout, the cracks could be movement, go look at the job, post pics if needs be, look at the size of the joints, you might be able to use an oscillating disc in a Bosch, Fein or similar.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Remember, after grout is out, when removing the tile, that you work from the middle out, towards the edge of the tile. That way you do not damage any of the surrounding tiles.

B

barclay1406

Hi guys, thanks for your replys, maybe i wrote my post wrong but the tile that needs to be lifted is not damaged, it moves up and down, probably where the adhesive is not layed correctly, i'll need to take it out, relay the adhesive and place the same tile back.

what about sealing the grout once it's laid, will i have to do that as well seeing as it's marble??

i'm new to the tiling game, hence the questions.

thanks again

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for your replys, maybe i wrote my post wrong but the tile that needs to be lifted is not damaged, it moves up and down, probably where the adhesive is not layed correctly, i'll need to take it out, relay the adhesive and place the same tile back.

what about sealing the grout once it's laid, will i have to do that as well seeing as it's marble??

i'm new to the tiling game, hence the questions.

thanks again

or have the tiles not been fixed correctly...... Or the substrate not prepared correctly...... Could be a number of reasons!

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
If the tile is as loose as that a suction cup might lift it, as we have said, could be movement, due to.............. a number of reasons, lift the tile, see how the addy has been applied, what to etc

Reply to Marble floor needs re-grouting in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley