Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Mapei S1 adhesive on ply- Help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jason23

Hi Folks,
I'm about to do a wee tile job in bathroom. Putting 9mm ply down ( screwed thorughly ) and painting with Excel bond SBR first.

Now tle shop sold me Mapei S1 Keraquick rapidset. i didnt but the extra tub of flexi.

Ive just looked at the Mapie website and it says dont use on wallas and floor prone to extreme flexing or vibration (ie ) wood, fibre cement boards.

Now I'm confused!!!

Can I use this Keraquick s1 on ply or not?

Can anyone advise??

Advise much appreciated, starting work tommorow!

: )

Jason

D

DHTiling

Not on 9mm ply....use latex plus with it..:thumbsup:..if the ply was within bs standards then it would be fine..

J

jason23

Thanks Dave. OK, I will pop round and get the latex plus.
If I used 12mm would I get away with Keraquick on its own?

How much Latex plus do I mix in?

Muchos Gracius

Jason

D

DHTiling

maybe.....but just use the latex plus and it will be an S2 adhesive then....you mix the latex with the keraquick....no water..:thumbsup:

J

jason23

ahh. lucky I asked. Yes, the tile shop assistant didnt even hint at this.

Dave can you recommend a good flexible grout for me in grey?

Do Mapei do grout that utilises this latex plus mixing agent?

Ive had a few grouts crack on me and I'm gonna go flexy from now on.

J

jason23

great. Just got 6 Kg of Latex Plus.

The assistant at the shop informs me to mix 1.5 KG LP with 10 Kg bag of Keraquick.

Do you concur with this mix ratio Dave?

I'm sceptical because she says I should be using 6kg with a 25kg bag! I pointed out that makes no sense at all.

J

jason23

ive also been reading that drying time is v slow with Latex Plus additive? Is this correct? What dry time can I expect?

Thanks for the advise Dave, v much appreciated

D

DHTiling

Hi jason..

Here's the PDF for Latex plus...

Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jason23

OK, I have the definitive answers now. All the myths and nonsense were making me doubt the plain B&W Mapie bible.

Confidence restored.
:thumbsup:

J

jason23

well just for the record I had a nightmare trying to mix the stuff with my cordless Makita. It just didnt have the juice. Almost had a nightmare on my hands just used a combination of makita, manual mixing and cursing. Between the 3 I eventually got it mixed.

Used 10kg Keraquick with 3 KG Latex Plus.

The stuff wasnt drying particularly quick. Fingers crossed its bone dry when i go back today.

Thanks for the advice Dave.

N

NavSG

well just for the record I had a nightmare trying to mix the stuff with my cordless Makita. It just didnt have the juice. Almost had a nightmare on my hands just used a combination of makita, manual mixing and cursing. Between the 3 I eventually got it mixed.

Used 10kg Keraquick with 3 KG Latex Plus.

The stuff wasnt drying particularly quick. Fingers crossed its bone dry when i go back today.

Thanks for the advice Dave.

Any news on whether the adhesive dried or not. How were the results ?

Reply to Mapei S1 adhesive on ply- Help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks