Discuss low temperature external tiling in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SquareEyes

Hi everyone, Hope you're all warm and well! Hoping that I can get some input on something.

I've got an external wall to tile next week, but I'm concerned about the low temperatures we're experiencing right now. I generally use Keraquick, but the tech details state that it shouldn't be used in conditions under 5degrees. Right now we're at lower than that
(London around -1) and I'm coming up empty handed with an alternative adhesive that will work at these temperatures.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The wall is approx 7m2 - tiles are terracotta 150x150 - wall is painted.

I was thinking of scratching the wall to get some paint off, use some SBR primer and attach some wedi boards onto it (glue on the boards and then drill some washers and screws into wall to secure boards)and tank the wall. Prefer to over the top with these external situations. My reason for this is that adhesive and wedi boards adhere very well to one another. What it doesn't do is solve my low temperature issue.

Thanks in advance guys! :smilewinkgrin:

G

Gazzer

Nope as far as I am aware all manufacturers of adhesive state no lower than 5 degrees.

S

SquareEyes

Bugger - so does that simply mean no external tiling while it's this cold?

Would some tarp or sheets keep it warm? sounds weird but a thought...

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You'll be lucky if it goes off, I've just done a job and left some waste adhesive in the skip and it wasn't solid the next day and if frost gets into it......

It took long enough to go off in an empty unheated house, although we did have oil heaters in the room, the cold concrete floor affected setting times

G

Gazzer

If the frost gets into the adhesive it will blow when the temp rises. Its a big no no for me..

S

SquareEyes

Thanks for the heads up guys.

I knew that tiling when its cold isn't an option in case the water in the adhesive freeze...i guess I was just hoping someone knew of a method that could overcome this.

Ohwell...they'll have to wait a few weeks, plus saves me getting frostbite in me poor handies.

S

SquareEyes

i'm concerned about the temperatures dropping over night.....reckon it will be dry enough by then? I'd be using keraquick which is set in pretty much 2/3 hours

B

burncross

weather forcast says high of 8c and low of 4c for next week in london, but not sure if that low is overnight?
so a lot warmer than it has been.
I dont know if adhesive will be fully dry in 3hrs to protect it from frost?

I

Ian

I wouldn't risk it personally. I've been using Mapei proflex this week in a conservatory that was 9 degrees and the set time was between 6-8 hours instead of 2!

S

Stef

I wouldnt tile outside in this weather, its bad enough in a new build without heating on.

We were tiling in a house a year past & the adhesive was freezing on the walls inside the house.

I would put it off till the weather heats up.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Haha Robson you must have had to wait until about June then :sunny:

S

Stef

Haha Robson you must have had to wait until about June then :sunny:

Ha your right JB, its normally colder in june up here though.

We have been lucky up here in Ayrshire with the weather so far, Cant believe its down to -16 in some parts of England, its normally us thats getting it sore.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ha your right JB, its normally colder in june up here though.

We have been lucky up here in Ayrshire with the weather so far, Cant believe its down to -16 in some parts of England, its normally us thats getting it sore.

My mum has just come back from Arrachar at the top end of Loch Lomond, and had a lovely time. At least 5 degrees warmer.

Reply to low temperature external tiling in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay