Currently reading:
Looking for work? So...

Discuss Looking for work? So... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

... the longer I'm on here the less I understand: if you love your work so much and are keen to do a good job and provide good customer service, and many on here are struggling to find work, why do so many of you insist on being anonymous on here? There are some, who are networking like mad across the internet, making it pretty easy for people to find them and examples of their work, Dave is a prime example, and slowly but surely people are taking advantage of the option on here to put their websites in the signature, or their contact numbers. But why are there so many of you who still don't?

Potential customers come here as guests, looking for a tiler, some advice or a course, I did, and they probably see the first forum page with the header they are looking for, and a few names, they may notice some good replies by various members and if they are really interested in finding more about either techniques for their DIY project, or someone they feel they can trust, they register and have a good look round. How can they get in touch with you if you have some fictitious name on here and no contact details? Not everyone is computer or forum savvy enough to go to peoples' profiles, and if they are probably not comfortable either to leave THEIR number to someone who is totally incognito.

I have friends dotted all over the place in the UK and months ago I remember trying to find a tiler on here for them in that area, spontaneously one night, after a phonecall, with the help of google and had to guess to put someone's name on here together with a tiler found on google in that area, it was such an effort! It doesn't make sense. I don't get it.

If you are pleased with your own work then help potential customers to find you....!?!?

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Gisela I think I have now been convinced, I'm looking forward to seeing my website. In the past I always relied on word of mouth (recommendations), but the world has changed. I am grateful for the advice you and others on this site have given me. I hope to reach a lot more people.

I am trying to move with the times, It seems that just doing your job with passion, and wanting to leave each customer more than happy, is no longer enough.

I hope I can keep up, we will see:thumbsup:

U

user123

Phil, :) I remember when my Dad told me that telephones were frowned upon at first, many didn't want them, were afraid the phone ringing would disturb their days, their work, their lives, (they had a point!) and then, just a decade or two later, people who didn't have one became more and more isolated, some making themselves comfortable in the image of social underdogs. Because of a phone! It's the same with the internet. Even most TV programmes give some webaddress to pursue something further. It is one of the most used means of communication now, and it really puts those part of it at an advantage over those who are not.
But at least you put your email address and your phone number in your signature, I can't remember how long they have been there, but there is a way of people contacting you, the website with your photos will be even more reassuring. I can say this with conviction as I have not only met you but also seen your portfolio you were wise enough to bring along, what wonderful work and what a wonderful means the website will prove that more people can see what you can do.

In general, how can the ordinary customer be expected to respect good tiling over bad if tilers themselves don't proudly show off their profession?

U

user123

may be some tilers dont like people picking there brains for tips that they have have learnt over a long time ,only to not get any work from it .
www.dannypaynetiling.co.uk by the way lol

Danny, go to your profile, ;>to edit profile, ->then to signature, ->then edit signature and add your webaddress, so it shows automatically on each post. As to the rest, if that was the case then there would be no forum, I think just some phone skills can sort that. :)

D

DHTiling

... the longer I'm on here the less I understand: if you love your work so much and are keen to do a good job and provide good customer service, and many on here are struggling to find work, why do so many of you insist on being anonymous on here? There are some, who are networking like mad across the internet, making it pretty easy for people to find them and examples of their work, Dave is a prime example, and slowly but surely people are taking advantage of the option on here to put their websites in the signature, or their contact numbers. But why are there so many of you who still don't?

Potential customers come here as guests, looking for a tiler, some advice or a course, I did, and they probably see the first forum page with the header they are looking for, and a few names, they may notice some good replies by various members and if they are really interested in finding more about either techniques for their DIY project, or someone they feel they can trust, they register and have a good look round. How can they get in touch with you if you have some fictitious name on here and no contact details? Not everyone is computer or forum savvy enough to go to peoples' profiles, and if they are probably not comfortable either to leave THEIR number to someone who is totally incognito.

I have friends dotted all over the place in the UK and months ago I remember trying to find a tiler on here for them in that area, spontaneously one night, after a phonecall, with the help of google and had to guess to put someone's name on here together with a tiler found on google in that area, it was such an effort! It doesn't make sense. I don't get it.

If you are pleased with your own work then help potential customers to find you....!?!?

Great advice.. and very True..

Reply to Looking for work? So... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We are looking for a tiler for potential tiling work in the Suffolk and Essex area. We are also looking for anyone who is interested to do a tiling apprenticeship with us. Anyone...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can be found HERE but is quite long so not as easy to find specific posts. So tell us what you are up...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.