Search the forum,

Discuss limestone on porcelain backing.Any problems for fixers ?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

Something I have come across with cheap porcelain 600x 600 and many other sizes, is that they tend to be bent!
2 tiles face to face or back to back normally bow in or kick out at the edges!!

Good luck though Johnny

Not just cheap porcelain.
I'm almost finished fitting 300m2 of Porcelanosa 660x440 porcs & they are not great.
They are fitted on quarter bond & a lot of the tiles are bowed..

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm almost finished fitting 300m2 of Porcelanosa 660x440 porcs & they are not great.

Surprised at that Stef, they are normally top notch, worried now as I've got a quality bathroom and wetroom to start next week.

Reaction score

Sorry to hear that on such a large floor. If I was you I would be very glad to of finished that job

E

enduro

I have used these tiles a few years ago on heated screed for a friend. They are still perfect no issues.

J

jonnyc

Absolute zero chance of finding a stottie or for that matter pease pudding and ham in any ready roll down in Reigate, I am afraid.
like the sound of them from what I have looked up.
would be a welcome alternative to the surrey panini !!!!
I am intrigued as to what celebrity lives down in Reigate and how did you pick this job up.
only one I know is Gloria for it ain't half hot mum!!!
or is it mums the word!!

J

jonnyc

The only real alternative is mitres and that's just a ballache.

They should provide external edge tiles with a solid stone structure over the last 20mm or so to address this issue.

Natural stone + Trim = Meh.....

i think tht if you tried to mitre a 2mm stone face on backed porcelain will get chips and not look too hot.

S

Stef

Surprised at that Stef, they are normally top notch, worried now as I've got a quality bathroom and wetroom to start next week.

John I was surprised at the quality of some of the tiles,
Piedra Borgona Arena,
I've fitted thousands of metres of Porcelanosa tiles & I wasn't impressed with these or the 900s I was fitting also, can't remember their name, some of them were bowed 3mm across the face, so 6mm if I held a straight edge tight to one side.
Not the quality I'm used to with Porcelanosa..

C

Concrete guy

i think tht if you tried to mitre a 2mm stone face on backed porcelain will get chips and not look too hot.

What is the "advantage" of this laminated product over solid stone?

I can't see there being any meaningful weight saving, are they suggesting it's a more stable product due to the lamination?

I used to deal with a firm (I think they were American) that produce lightweight cladding in natural stone, a thin veneer if stone on an aluminium (or aloominum to them) honeycomb frame which allowed very large slabs to be fitted as cladding and come in underweight. From memory they were 1400mm x 1400mm. That made sense as they were designed for a specific use.

I just don't see the advantage of a laminate on porcelain.

P

Pebbs

There isent any advantage over laminating stone or marble onto these porcelain backings except where weight issues are crucial, mainly on computerised flooring. The other side of the coin is that they are sold as being a cheaper alternative to a solid slab of stone or marble. A few years ago we installed marble laminated onto these backings, and it started curling. Horrible nasty material, best to be avoided if you can.
Honeycomb backings are a different story, I like them, we have installed cladding of over 3000mm high, and they went in like a dream. No heavy lifting gear, just marvellous, but very costly.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
John I was surprised at the quality of some of the tiles,
Piedra Borgona Arena,
I've fitted thousands of metres of Porcelanosa tiles & I wasn't impressed with these or the 900s I was fitting also, can't remember their name, some of them were bowed 3mm across the face, so 6mm if I held a straight edge tight to one side.
Not the quality I'm used to with Porcelanosa.. 

You've got me worried now Stef, 90x33 wall tiles going on, it'll be about 18-20k bathroom so it will have to be spot on!!!

J

jonnyc

Lynn.im with you .i cannot see how it is cheaper to carry out this process.unless I don't know what's what I can only surmise that the stone material might be in short supply and thus the need for Minimal stone material. It's an odd one to me.maybe Ray can shed light on this as he seems to be the only adventurer in china at the moment.

S

Stef

You've got me worried now Stef, 90x33 wall tiles going on, it'll be about 18-20k bathroom so it will have to be spot on!!!

Check them 1st then John, I fitted 75m2 of 900x330s straight bond & some of them were lipped, no way of sorting it out other than trying to stack the bowed tiles on top of each other.
I was shocked as you know yourself Porcelanosa are normally bang on..

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Check them 1st then John, I fitted 75m2 of 900x330s straight bond & some of them were lipped, no way of sorting it out other than trying to stack the bowed tiles on top of each other.
I was shocked as you know yourself Porcelanosa are normally bang on..

They are going to be stacked so at least thats in my favour :thumbsup:

Reply to limestone on porcelain backing.Any problems for fixers ?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen