Discuss limestone on porcelain backing.Any problems for fixers ?? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jonnyc

I have seen this limestone on porcelain backing at stone shows before but first time i have been asked to fix.
got 4 nice sized bathrooms floor to ceiling.
i have no issue cutting the the tiles even though through two different materials.
but it has struck me that i may have problems with the tiles themselves not being flat as you get with porcelain sometimes especially in larger format.
the tiles will all be 600 x 600mm
anyone fixed much of this stuff and what do you think of it.
i imagine the porcelain is dirt cheap and therefore not good quality but this may not matter.

T

Time's Ran Out

Not seen them myself but wonder what they use to bond the 2 materials together?

T

Time's Ran Out

The other obvious wonder I had was the finished thickness and weight for walls or are the bathrooms Aqua panelled or similar?

J

jonnyc

How would you finish the edges on a product of this nature?
That's one of the problems we are facing.
the company has suggested supplying me with a 20mm slab which I can use to make box top and niche sides.
That is fine but it does not work when we have two sides and a head within which a mirror will sit as would have do all this in 20mm.
i also like to do niches where the joint is on inside which means cutting up a slab in to tiles which is too much agro.
so will probably have to use steel trim

C

Concrete guy

The only real alternative is mitres and that's just a ballache.

They should provide external edge tiles with a solid stone structure over the last 20mm or so to address this issue.

Natural stone + Trim = Meh.....

T

Time's Ran Out

Interesting thread and I'd be keen to see these tiles ( I'am in the Reigate area for a month or so!).

J

jonnyc

I can post a picture of 600x400 sample on Monday.not sure when bathrooms ready.got 300sq mts marble 90 x 90 x20mm to get on with starting 10days plus double marble sweeping staircase.nice job.you must have a good sized job in Reigate if you're there for a month

Tony73

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I did few bathrooms with 3mm white Carrera stuck to 9 mm porcelain tile. No problem fitting, only on the edge had to do 15mm mitred strips, as client didn't want no aliuminium or any other trim

T

Time's Ran Out

I did few bathrooms with 3mm white Carrera stuck to 9 mm porcelain tile. No problem fitting, only on the edge had to do 15mm mitred strips, as client didn't want no aliuminium or any other trim

So how we're they bonded together - epoxy glue!

T

Time's Ran Out

Johnny C - just topping up my pension pot with a couple of celebrity jobs and a geometric hallway in a weeks time. Thinking of relocating for a few months if I can find a good coffee shop that does Stotties with pease pudding and ham!

Reply to limestone on porcelain backing.Any problems for fixers ?? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks