Discuss Layer/prep for tiling with UFH on wooden floorboards in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,
So I can’t find any solid information on this topic. For context, I am wanting tiles floor with underfloor heating from the kitchen into the living/dining room (joining rooms via a door) so basically the whole downstairs. While having a new kitchen installed prior to tiling I was advised to lay some insulation backer boards directly onto the existing floor boards by using flexible tile adhesive and screws with washers. I am now at a stage where I can continue laying the insulation boards through to the living room ready to then continue the process of, electric UFH mats, a self levelling screed and then tiles. My issue is, after laying the boards in the kitchen directly onto the floor boards, the living room has plywood sheets down to which I now am thinking would of been better to lay the insulation boards on to as oppose to directly to floorboards. So what’s the correct way from now? Do I lift the ply in the living room and carry on with the adhesive and boards, or have I messed up already in the kitchen and need to track back. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
Were the floorboards deflection free ,screwed down and structurally sound ?
The floorboards are original T&G either nailed or screwed in places, which were primed prior to laying insulation boards and didn’t seem to have any noticeable structural issues

Reply to Layer/prep for tiling with UFH on wooden floorboards in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks